Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

From Admin - My thoughts regarding the bad batch of 918's...

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 12:43 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: From Admin - My thoughts regarding the bad batch of 918's...

Well now, let me chime in here for a bit. As some of you might recall I was all set to sell my ride while I was on deployment here in the desert and was thinking that I had just broken a spring on it before I left. No problem I thought, I will put a brand new set of springs on it and all will be good. OOOOOH HECK NOOOOO Upon further inspection it was found that I have a very expensive boat anchor. You can view carnage here: http://community.webshots.com/user/liquidnutz
Now that is all said and done, maybe I too should thank Comp. Just gonna build it back better and stronger than before.

CUTNUTZ RACIN
"We'll build em, run em, and talk all kinds of smack till the BOSS takes em away and puts em back in her purse."
Old 08-22-2003, 07:43 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am also one of the many 918 victims. I can honestly say that my car probably wouldn't be as strong as it is today if the 918 hadn't snapped, but it came at a steep price. I dealt personnally with Red and he was very sympathetic,but was only able to replace the set of springs. MTI was the savior in my case. They bent over backwards to ease my pain. I wouldn't touch a Comp Cam single spring with a ten foot pole. Yes I'm still pissed about it and if I had the time and money I would make it a point to have Comp Cam face the jury. Yes , they make some quality products and have for years, but when you screw up, you own up to the mistake and make it right. That's just how a quality business is supposed to be handled. They admitted their error and refused to properly correct the outcome of the victims. There are too many other performance company options out there to pick from. I always use that rule as a tool when planning or building a project and will offer my opinion to anyone that might be in the market for like products in the future.

What's that old saying.." screw me once shame on you...screw me twice shame on me".

I can forgive , but I can't forget. Sorry.

And I'm not even close to done.

I am known for being a postive kind of motivated individual, but this one warrants all the negativity that it has created.

I'll step down now, but I'll be back.

Thanks for the therapy session John. I do feel a little bit better.LOL

See ya!

Old 08-24-2003, 12:50 PM
9 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll post this one quickly for the guys with the older 941s that are concerned. I've put 18K miles of seriously hard dialy and weekend racing pounding on my 941s in my motor. That's -10 to 100 degree temps over the last 14 months.

One finaly let go as I was coasting off the freeway exit ramp. Upon further inspection we found one of the 941s in three pieces but I am the lucky dog since the valve never dropped down far enough to get hit.

The morale of the story is if you run a stroker or a high lift cam on the street for 10K plus miles a year, think about new springs every season. Cheap insurance and I've learned my lesson.

Now the conversion from 941s to 918s will require new retainers and locks. You'll want to check with your head manufacture to see if they have done any machining to the pocket at all and make the appropriate adjustments too.

The new 918s are in and have all ready been beat on serveral times in the last two weeks.

Rick
Old 08-27-2003, 10:15 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,207 Likes on 773 Posts

Call Comp up and ask for Red and ask him Hoss.
Old 08-28-2003, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

I'll post this one quickly for the guys with the older 941s that are concerned. I've put 18K miles of seriously hard dialy and weekend racing pounding on my 941s in my motor. That's -10 to 100 degree temps over the last 14 months.

One finaly let go as I was coasting off the freeway exit ramp. Upon further inspection we found one of the 941s in three pieces but I am the lucky dog since the valve never dropped down far enough to get hit.

<snip>

Now the conversion from 941s to 918s will require new retainers and locks. You'll want to check with your head manufacture to see if they have done any machining to the pocket at all and make the appropriate adjustments too.

<snip>
Rick
Funny, I lost a 941 in January coming out of a toll booth on an offramp...

Mine bent a valve in the process. I'm now with 918's with stock retainers, I have this pile of titanium ones right here.

I'm running a B1 cam, got maybe 10k on them as well, and I'm careful to warm up the car every time I cold start up.

Old 09-01-2003, 07:09 PM
Launching!

I believe I had a valvespring break on me with my old setup. Only had about 1500 miles on the car. Car was tuned and had the rev limiter set. Was at about 6500 in 3rd gear, and KABOOM - engine blown.

That was after I just had my headers, cam, springs, pushrods, tuning dont the previous month. Talk about a waste of $5K.

So, now Ive got my new motor going in along with a 12 bolt to make sure things are done right this time. New motor will fetch roughly $13K (with 12bolt, install, tuning, etc).

If this new motor has any problems, it will be my last time ever building an engine.

Im not going to gripe and complain to Comp Cams about this, I will just refuse to ever install their components in any of my vehicles. It will also be the last time I touch a single coil spring.