ok, i was just wondering, Jegs has a special on Mahle forged pistons,

LS1/LS2/LS6 Chevy PowerPak Piston Kit
Forged 4032 High Silicone Aluminum Alloy
Bore: 3.898''
Pin Diameter: .945''
-1cc Dome Volume
Compression Ratio @ 64cc: 10.7:1
Precision Ring Grooves for Included 1/16'', 1/16'', 3/16'' Rings

and i was wondering if the 1cc releif would be enough to clear my MS4 with TSP 2.5 5.3's and GM MLS gaskets. its going to cost me around 200 or so to rent the cutter from Vengance racing to fly cut my stockers, so if its going to be enough, ill just fork over the extra to get new pistons.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know. I've got the MS4 and have the 5.3's milled to 59cc. The pistons I'm using are the Diamond -2cc reliefs. It fits perfectly fine. So I would say yes if your heads aren't milled, but I'd call TSP.

But something else to think about is swapping pistons isn't just as easy as "swapping pistons." To do it right you will spend quite a bit more than that. 1) You'll need to get the cylinders honed to clean up the walls. 2) You'll need to pull the rods to get the new pistons pressed on. 3) Because of this, you'll need new bearings and you'll need to get the big end of the rod checked for roundness when you pull them out. 4) You might as well get new rod bolts while you're there. 5) Again, while you're there you might as well pick up a set of rods- there's really no point in forged pistons if you're not going to back them up with a good set of rods as well, those are the two weak points in the bottom end. 6) If you've come this far you might as well just rebuild the short block....

Okay, this might be a little blown out of proportion but really, it's not just as easy as swapping them out. Anyways, good luck in whatever you decided.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:11 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i already got rod bolts, so the rods gotta come out anyways, i got a bearing kit, and i have a machine shop at my disposal to do the piston pressing, ring filing, and check them for roundness. the cylinders will get honed a little to clean them up with a bottle hone, but nothing major. im not planning on running boost or nitrous, so the stock rods will be fine, but its going to cost me close to the price of new pistons to rent the **** to cut my stock pistons. not to mention, the added peace of mind is a plus.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:01 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bww3588
i already got rod bolts, so the rods gotta come out anyways, i got a bearing kit, and i have a machine shop at my disposal to do the piston pressing, ring filing, and check them for roundness. the cylinders will get honed a little to clean them up with a bottle hone, but nothing major. im not planning on running boost or nitrous, so the stock rods will be fine, but its going to cost me close to the price of new pistons to rent the **** to cut my stock pistons. not to mention, the added peace of mind is a plus.
Sounds like you've got it all taken care of then! Good luck!
Old 03-26-2008, 09:26 AM
12 Second Club

thanks man, im sure its going to be more involved than i picture in my mind, but im up for it. i appreciate all your help on the cam and head selcetion via PM. you've been a great help.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:14 AM
TECH Addict

Yep, no problem at all. Keep me informed of how it's going!
Old 03-27-2008, 02:37 PM
12 Second Club

ttt.......