Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

will a custom cam......

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 05:17 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We definitely can get you something with similar lift. There are several lobe options available that we can look at. Shoot me a PM with what you are thinking!

Thanks!
Jon
Old 04-02-2008, 05:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SLP Firehawk
yeah i've heard nothing but good things about my tuner also. so then do you think its normal and i'm just driving it differently? i'm not crazy worried about gasmilage but when i'm not beating the car i like to cruise in 5th gear... i sapose gears would help me out because 6th gear is useless there is no power and its at such a low rpm.

partrick g did recommend a cam to me however i do not want to buy another cam if this problem is going to still exist.. i know many of you are thinking its in the tune it could be or it could be the cam??? i'm just trying to get it sorted out cause i would like the car to drive better than it currently is
If you are running 3.42 gears you are going to have problems with that cam...I ran a TSP torquer cam for 45,000 miles and did not have problems but I ran 4.10 gears too...manual transmisssion cars with cams with duration over 230 need to have 4.10s
Old 04-02-2008, 06:50 PM
TECH Veteran

My custom cam is very similar to the t2 but it has more lift and a tighter lsa. I have some bucking at low rpms but it is nothing serious. I also cruise with my rpms at 2k or below. I knew getting a cam this size with 3.42 gears would give me a little bucking but it is very streetable. I DD my car actually
Old 04-02-2008, 08:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Tv2 cam in my car along with other mods (see sig). The cam is VERY streetable. My goal was to have as big of a cam as possible that was still easy to drive every day. The cam does buck a little at 1500 rpm's and below. You have to drive it differently. I have stock 3.42's and I just do not run below about 1600 rpm's. The car does take a little more clutch slippage to get going. My idle is great and the car does not die on hot or cold starts. It does take some effort for the tuner to get the idle right. My tuner spent time on the WOT tuning and then spend quite a bit of time on tuning for drivability.

Tuning is the key. If you have spent that much money on tuning, make them get it right. It can be done. If still not happy, go to a smaller cam like a 224 or 228.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:14 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
I think you need a new tuner. There is no reason a tv2 can't be an acceptable DD. Plenty on here DD bigger ones with no issues.

I agree i tried getting him to have me tune it but no go yet.... i gurantee you will be happy or your money back... how about that?
Old 04-02-2008, 08:24 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Frans96SS
I agree i tried getting him to have me tune it but no go yet.... i gurantee you will be happy or your money back... how about that?
i appreciate your enthusiasm your alittle far thats the only problem i can't afford to drive there car to delaware and then come home and pick it up the next day.

the place that last did my tune should be able to get it right it just depends on how much time they feel like playing with the car i think they are sick of it already.

also 4.10s would probly help me out alot.. to tell you the truth i think i went to big with this car i wanted something that came in under the curve alot earlyer but jon at texas said the tv2 and the 228r were identical cams...
Old 04-02-2008, 08:35 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's gotta be cheaper than a cam swap, the cam u have is a great cam, I would try to get some one worth a crap to tune it, Hell, pcm4less can tune it by mail and it would be near dead on.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:46 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i appreciate your enthusiasm your alittle far thats the only problem i can't afford to drive there car to delaware and then come home and pick it up the next day.

the place that last did my tune should be able to get it right it just depends on how much time they feel like playing with the car i think they are sick of it already.

also 4.10s would probly help me out alot.. to tell you the truth i think i went to big with this car i wanted something that came in under the curve alot earlyer but jon at texas said the tv2 and the 228r were identical cams...

ok thats fine.... but ive done that cam in ALOT of cars and never once had a problem.. ive done it in auto cars with big and little converters and a bunch of manual cars... that cam has impressed me alot.... let me know if you ever want me to fix it... an experianced tuner should get it to idle in under an hour to be honest....i deff wouldnt go switching the cam yet. thats gonna cost you alot more money. Just let me know if i can help you at all.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:10 PM
Launching!

what gears are you running. throw some 410's in that bitch and call it a day.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:19 PM
11 Second Club

Dude you need at least 4:10 gears with a cam like this. It will solve most your bucking/pulling away from a stop problems.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:21 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
Dude you need at least 4:10 gears with a cam like this. It will solve most your bucking/pulling away from a stop problems.
i wish i woulda done gears when i rebuilt my rear last year oh well looks like i gata try a set of gears to fix the problem.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:35 AM
FormerVendor

jon at texas said the tv2 and the 228r were identical cams...
No sir they are definitely not identical cams. There must have been some kind of misunderstanding when we discussed this. While they drive pretty similar, the powerbands will have some pretty decent differences.

FWIW, I would try a gear as well before changing cams. You will see some higher RPM's but I think it would help the low RPM bucking you aren't liking.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:42 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Jon@Texas-Speed
No sir they are definitely not identical cams. There must have been some kind of misunderstanding when we discussed this. While they drive pretty similar, the powerbands will have some pretty decent differences.

FWIW, I would try a gear as well before changing cams. You will see some higher RPM's but I think it would help the low RPM bucking you aren't liking.
ok i will try gears i think i would have rather had the 228r though but that was my choice
Old 04-03-2008, 05:12 PM
11 Second Club

i wish i woulda done gears when i rebuilt my rear last year oh well looks like i gata try a set of gears to fix the problem.
Gear wont eliminate it but will help. My 232/236 surges a lil with my 4:10s, maybe your just not a big cam kinda guy.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its all in the tune.......do you have a dyno graph you can post up?
Old 04-03-2008, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
I think you need a new tuner. There is no reason a tv2 can't be an acceptable DD. Plenty on here DD bigger ones with no issues.
Tuning is your issue... That size cam is very streetable... I have it, and have no problems. Cam only, stock heads w/ all bolt-ons, A4 3500 yank, Moser 12bolt w/373's 11.76 115 1.63 60ft. 3752 lb Raceweight

Last edited by pla-tym; 04-03-2008 at 09:47 PM.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:13 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by GMmexican
Its all in the tune.......do you have a dyno graph you can post up?
yes i have one but its from my old tuner harris speed works and its not the same as the place i had it done now.. they did not give me a dyno sheet for some reason, nor do i know how to post one up here. they told me the car made 425 hp but didnt tell me what kinda torque it made. when i got the car back i was unhappy with the driveability and told them to retune it. when i got it back the second time it still had that cam surge around 1700 rpm but the car feels really flat now like theres no torque curve.. my friend said " does this thing still have a cam in it?"