Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSX block weight

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 05:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dochall22
Go LSX - even if you stay NA - your talking possible 600hp with a streetable build?? Where are you going to get that with the other blocks? I dunno 'bout you guys, but HP is the name of the game, and I think the LSX block is all about more HP. Who cares if it weighs a lil more? 100 pounds is a only 0.10 seconds in a 1/4 mile! WHO CARES!!!!
That was my original thought when i was looking at the TSP 454LSX. I know
the block is heavier, but thats the beauty of it all. No sleeves that might drop, and i personally don't like adding stroke without bore. The 454 is the motor u can install and forget. No worries about not having enough hp or tq.
And on the street it would be hard to kill the motor.
Oh i wanted to add...the price is hard to beat.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just Do It!
Old 04-06-2008, 11:07 PM
TECH Addict

I concur with you .either vendor you cant go wrong.like said weight not goin to matter if your making around 600hp.bottom line is the right combo setup.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm wanting to go LSX here soon - just wondering whats the biggest cube you guys have heard coming from one of these?
Old 04-06-2008, 11:27 PM
TECH Addict

tall deck coming out soon according gmht performance mag. latest issue.extra half inch of deck height now@9.75 inches can support at least 500cid or more.

needs custom intake or spacers.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i cant wait for the day when they release a true big block with big block heads and a big block version of the fast intake - all built around the ls engine concept just EVERYTHING bigger
Old 04-07-2008, 12:37 AM
TECH Addict

ya I hear ya.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

imo, that much extra weight up front really screws up the whole car handling.
How do I know? well I have a 370 cid iron block.
I had to remove a lot of other weight to offset that and that is not cheap. Relocate batery, tubular A arms etc...
For street, if I had to do it again, I would go 383 alum or 402 alum.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:50 AM
TECH Addict

I concur with you also predator.mine wont be for the street.strictly a weekend warrior track car.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:44 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
imo, that much extra weight up front really screws up the whole car handling.
How do I know? well I have a 370 cid iron block.
I had to remove a lot of other weight to offset that and that is not cheap. Relocate batery, tubular A arms etc...
For street, if I had to do it again, I would go 383 alum or 402 alum.
I don 't 100% agree with that..I had a '94 and '95' LT1 Z28 with a Powerdyne blower. And my '95 Z handled perfect. The LT1 was iron and was a heavy motor and the blower kit weighed 35lbs or more. All i really need to do is add
either stiffer springs or stiffer shocks. Like i stated earlier anyway, i'm not looking for a stripped down drag car only a great street car. I've been in 383 strokers and i rather just run a forged 347. If i'm going to pull the motor i'm not going to bother with only adding 36 cubes for the cost of a nice crank, rods(for my ATI kit), machine work and pistons. I can just add AFR heads and 228 cam for less and be close to the 2 383's i personally drove in. BTW, i don't see what's wrong with the LSX block, the 100lb + difference is nothing if you setup the suspension for it. If i added just my ATI on my stock SS i would still need to buy suspension parts to handle the power. In my WS6 i was bending rear sway bar links with the stock control arms after my head/cam and stall install.
But if i do stay alum. i would go 387 big bore, yes i know about the re-sleeve cost or LS7 block, or go 427. The LSX 454 was just an awesome street option i've been thinking about cause a fully built short block from TSP is $6,630 with top parts.

Last edited by BlackNiteWS6; 04-07-2008 at 10:22 AM.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:15 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 35th SS
I concur with you also predator.mine wont be for the street.strictly a weekend warrior track car.
Dude you confuse me...lol. You concur with Preditor-Z about LSX weight
BUT you look forward to gm offering a big block setup. A big block is gonna
be heavier. But i appreciate everyone's input.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:09 PM
10 Second Club

I did some more searching on 383 strokers. I'm surprised how little power they
are making. I'm sure theres more to it. But it does look like if you add a blower/turbo to a 383 the motor
is powerful. Then i started to think, no laughs please, the bore is only 3.898".
The power pushes the rotating assem. to make power, obviously. But if the piston
is to small compared to it's stroke, the motor doesn't get enough air for the 383 to
makes its full potential. Now force air in there it's like what a bigger piston would
do and you got a killer motor. I've been in 383 LT1's and they are great. Been in a few LS1 383's and didn't like it. My WS6 setup in my sig. was faster than 1 of the 383's i drove in. But Talon WS6 (Tommy) built a all bore with a small cam with heads that wouldn't
seal and the thing was scarey. Anyone that knows Tom here knows how fast his
setup was.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackNiteWS6
I don 't 100% agree with that..I had a '94 and '95' LT1 Z28 with a Powerdyne blower. And my '95 Z handled perfect. The LT1 was iron and was a heavy motor and the blower kit weighed 35lbs or more. All i really need to do is add
either stiffer springs or stiffer shocks. Like i stated earlier anyway, i'm not looking for a stripped down drag car only a great street car. I've been in 383 strokers and i rather just run a forged 347. If i'm going to pull the motor i'm not going to bother with only adding 36 cubes for the cost of a nice crank, rods(for my ATI kit), machine work and pistons. I can just add AFR heads and 228 cam for less and be close to the 2 383's i personally drove in. BTW, i don't see what's wrong with the LSX block, the 100lb + difference is nothing if you setup the suspension for it. If i added just my ATI on my stock SS i would still need to buy suspension parts to handle the power. In my WS6 i was bending rear sway bar links with the stock control arms after my head/cam and stall install.
But if i do stay alum. i would go 387 big bore, yes i know about the re-sleeve cost or LS7 block, or go 427. The LSX 454 was just an awesome street option i've been thinking about cause a fully built short block from TSP is $6,630 with top parts.

Weight distribution, those are the key words. 6.0 Iron is 92lbs heavier than LS1, and LSX is almost twice that ~165 lbs. add your ATI and that is 200 lbs heavier on the nose, so yeah if you do not take any high speed turns and don't brake heard in straight line it will handle great.

Take good advice, LS2 402 forged with 1 BAR boost and you can write your name on the tarmac and still carve corners like a madman.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:54 PM
10 Second Club

LOL...i like that" write your name on the tarmac"....i have time to think. I'm
very picky..anyone that knows me personally can tell ya. I had a stage 2 head and TR224
cam in WS6 at first. Car ran an 11.98 before i had the Vig.3600 install. But since this
was before LS1Edit i sent my pcm to Ed Wright 3 times to get the tuning right.
I got so pissed i tore my car apart in my garage and stepped my setup back to
small runner stage 1 and 216/220 and the car ran better cause Ed's tuning work just
barely good enough. Then after EDIT came out i spent hours learning it and got
my setup to run great. Anyway thx for the advice i appreciate it.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got quotes from LME and TSP and I ended up going with LME. In the end the price wasn't even comparable.

Ill have some pics up at the end of the week. Bryan shipped out my 454 friday.

Lsx block is 225 lbs about 130lbs heavier then an ls1 block.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:27 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jermzz
Bryan shipped out my 454 friday.
Bah...

Just to back a good friend, we went in with Jermzz to do a quote with both TSP and LME.

Bryan gave us, in the end, a much better price with all of the upgrades included; we also got the nuance things with our build, like the conversion harnesses, clearanced oil pan/windage tray/oil pick-up tube etc etc.

We have been and will continue to be TSP customers, so I am not knocking them at all. Although, it wasn't hard at all to go with the outstanding reputation of LME, the outstanding customer service we continue to receive, and the pricing of our LSX 454 ordering experience with them.

BTW, OP, good luck withever you decide!
Old 04-08-2008, 12:00 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BlackNiteWS6
Dude you confuse me...lol. You concur with Preditor-Z about LSX weight
BUT you look forward to gm offering a big block setup. A big block is gonna
be heavier. But i appreciate everyone's input.
not trying to brah!looking forward to see not buy.already have a 454 BBC block just in case I want to mess with it down the road.good luck with your decision das all.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:30 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 35th SS
not trying to brah!looking forward to see not buy.already have a 454 BBC block just in case I want to mess with it down the road.good luck with your decision das all.

Thats cool...To me the difference in weight doesn't really seem to be a
problem. But i do appreciate Preditor's advice, but like i noted earlier LT1's are heavy as well and the handling was razor sharp. But just to let you
guys know, Bryan emailed me back with a price super fast. LME has excellent
customer service and they use the best parts available and their prices are
aweswome. Not to blash anyone, especially a sponsor, but i've PM'd TSP
a few times about heads and never got a responds. I guess they are just
really busy. I still like their work though. In the mean time until i get my motor built, i might as well have fun and install my ATI kit, ARP studs, and maybe my GTP S2 6.0 liter heads that Craig massaged the runners for the
high volume and velocity from the D1SC. I want to thank all you guys for
your advice, you really help me think this time instead of just going out
and buy parts then never install them..lol.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:52 PM

OK so I was reading on this thread and seen that one of you mentioned a 454 with boost. I was originally planning on using a 454 with a Whipple w175ax supercharger and was told that I'd basically have to eventually it out because It was going to fail catasrophically under boost. So would I be fine or would I be better to stick with a 427? They'd both be from TSP simply because IMO they are the best ones on the market for the money (or at least what I've been telling myself). Sorry for any misspelling because this was sent from my Alcatel Onetuch.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 215 Likes on 128 Posts

434 CI 4.155" Bore X 4.00" Stroke
Best Bore Stroke Combo (if you want/need long stroke) W/Big 300+ Power Adder in LSX Iron Block Standard deck.

Quick Reply: LSX block weight