Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pressure issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 08:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure issue

Hey all. I recently did a cam swap on my 2000 Camaro ls1. After completed it ran and idled fine but my oil pressure was around 20 pounds and fall closer to 10 when it warmed up. I tore back into the motor and found that I pinched the o-ring on the oil pump when I put the oil pump back on. So I put a new o-ring on the pickup tube and re installed it back on the oil pump and put everything back together. Now I fire it up and it is right around 40 where it should be but when it warms up and I drive it around it will fall back down close to 20. Am I missing something here? Any ideas would be much appreciated because I do not feel like tearing down the motor a third time.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:43 PM
Staging Lane

So nobody has any help?
Old 04-08-2015, 05:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I know the oil pump pickup tube has an o-ring that is notorious to get thin over time as engine acquires miles and tends to lose oil pressure, makes the instrument indicator erratic. I have also read of cases where people replacing it have pinched it and it also loses oil pressure.
One thing I did notice was 2 different GM part numbers of o rings based on LS engines and the others.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:02 PM

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,152 Posts

Mine recently did that, but it turned out it was just a quart low. Added oil, and it stays 40+ again.

There was a different thread on hear where someone recommended adding a couple ouces of TransX to their engine oil for a similar issue, and it apparently helped. I've not tried that yet.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by josephholtinsurance
Hey all. I recently did a cam swap on my 2000 Camaro ls1. After completed it ran and idled fine but my oil pressure was around 20 pounds and fall closer to 10 when it warmed up. I tore back into the motor and found that I pinched the o-ring on the oil pump when I put the oil pump back on. So I put a new o-ring on the pickup tube and re installed it back on the oil pump and put everything back together. Now I fire it up and it is right around 40 where it should be but when it warms up and I drive it around it will fall back down close to 20. Am I missing something here? Any ideas would be much appreciated because I do not feel like tearing down the motor a third time.
Do the lifters tap or are they quiet? Oring leaking air in = tapping lifters all the time.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:13 PM
Teching In

Default cam bearing question?

did you look at the cam that came out? I have 2 donor motors and both have about 170K miles and both needed new cam bearings. Look at the bearing journals on the cam that came out.

Hope you find the culprit and it's a easy fix.

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure issue