Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need some help and opinions on my setup

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 03:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some help and opinions on my setup

This might be long winded and I dont know if this is the right forum for this since what I need to ask covers a lil bit of everything, but anyway here goes. I have a 02 WS6 M6 with 2100 miles (yes, thats right)...so far my current mods are slp lid and bellow, STB, and GMMG exhaust. I plan on taking my car up to Rapid Motorsports and having Mikey do the work...seems like he is pretty good from what I've searched and read and talked to him. So far I'm planning on doing ARH LT's and y-pipe, custom cam and tuning by Mikey.
I think im ok to that point, but I've been thinking about going from the 3.42's to 4.10's and also considered doing an u/d pulley. Basically all I want is just a nice around town car (it will never see a track) that has a nice evil sound to it that turns everyones head. My main goal is sound, I am NOT going to do heads, p/p t/b, maf, intake (already have ls6 anyway), etc. First, is there any harm in modding a low mileage car???

Second, is the u/d pulley a waste?? I just thought that since all that has to come off for the cam, I might do it but I've read on here that ppl get 10-15rwhp and some say they feel no difference. I guess for what I'm looking at for more around town and taking to a car show once in a while, is the u/d pulley a wise investment with my combo and wants?? I know that it drops ur idle on access. but with the cam and tune, will it raise the idle and balance out or should I avoid doing the u/d with a cam??

Finally, on the gears...Mikey kinda recommended not messing with it, but looking on here so much makes u wanna do ****...lol. I dont raunch on the car (I hardly drive it anyway), but does just going to 4:10's alone put more stress on the 10 bolt even if u dont burn the tires and run at the track?? BTW, I do have 315 Nitto DR's on the rear and I really dont know how sticky that tire is compared to alot of the others out there. I wasnt sure if just 4:10's alone are what ruin the 10 bolt since they are a smaller size, right??

One other thing, I think Mikey said I wouldnt need them but are the poly motor mounts something I should do?? Seems like the ARH LT's fit good from what ive read.
Thanks for the help guys, as I just wanted some extra outside help and sorry for the long post but I figure no harm in using the forum for advice.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:48 PM
Launching!

????????
Old 04-06-2008, 07:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I would edit all of the filler out of your post as it is hard to sort out the questions you've asked but I'll try....

Question 1: I haven't heard anything bad about modding a low mileage car. I have heard it isn't good for cars to sit around and never drive as teh hoses can dry/crack. You should be fine.

Question 2: Some see an U/D pulley as a waste of time but for someone trying to get every ounce of performance out of their car it makes sense. I think your money would better be spent on an electric cut out since you are going for sound more than power as you said

Question 3: I wouldn't recommend putting 4:10s in your 10 bolt. Yeat there might be people on here that havent broken their 10 bolt but it will happen. It's been explained to me that it is too much stress on the 10 bolt. 3:73s would be the max

Poly mounts are a piece of mind thing, I'm sure your motor mounts are still fresh I wouldn't bother on new ones
Old 04-06-2008, 07:06 PM
11 Second Club

I don't think there is any harm in modding a low mileage car, i would do headers and a full exhaust to get the sound you are looking for.

I would do the underdrive pulley. i have been in a few cars that have them and its kinda like free horsepower.

4.10s are a big gear. There is more stress because there are more teeth on the gear in the same space. Unless you are going to run d/r or slicks, the 4.10s on a stock 10blot should be ok. That is a big jump from 3.42 to 4.10 just so you know
Old 04-06-2008, 08:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get the u/d get 3.73 and the full exhaust run 12s be happy
Old 04-06-2008, 09:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Apollo0526
I don't think there is any harm in modding a low mileage car, i would do headers and a full exhaust to get the sound you are looking for.

I would do the underdrive pulley. i have been in a few cars that have them and its kinda like free horsepower.

4.10s are a big gear. There is more stress because there are more teeth on the gear in the same space. Unless you are going to run d/r or slicks, the 4.10s on a stock 10blot should be ok. That is a big jump from 3.42 to 4.10 just so you know
I do have the Nitto DR's and thats what worries me. Even tho I dont race it at the track, I do like to get on it now and then and I'm afraid of it hooking between gears and snappin the 10 bolt.

Would goin from 3.42 to 3.73 even be worth the jump?? Even if I stay with the stock 3.42, I assume it should pull pretty damn hard, right?

Ive heard some ppl say u cant tell much difference between the 2 gearings. Again I do have a M6. Thanks for the help fellas...just tryin to figure this out before spending a few grand and wishing i had done something else.