Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls1 Using oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls1 Using oil

Hi guys, new to the forum, hope you can help.

I have recently installed a cam in my 01 VX commoore. I installed 1.75:1 roller rockers and comp 915 springs aswell.

I have been busy tuning with EFI live and have had a couple of setbacks. But getting there slowly. Since the cam install, the engine has been using oil, and smoking when de-accellerating from high revs. I noticed this alot when on the dyno.

I had to remove the oil breather catcher plates from the rocker covers as they got in the way of the new rockers. could this be the problem, or has murphy reared his ugly head again and a oil ring has collapsed, or valve guides and seals. I did replace the valve seals while it was all open cause they looked shot. They wheren't the original ones, they where parts from Edelbrock, but they where the same ID for the seal.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Old 04-14-2008, 07:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you install new valve seals and springs when you did the cam swap? If so, a seal may not be tapped in well enough. Does it smoke at idle and right at start up or only under load? If its not the valve seals, I'd run a leakdown test and see if its more serious.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:01 AM

Yes, installed seals when changing the springs, and rockers.
I will check the seals then, easy enough.

What about the pieces I removed from the rocker covers for them to fit?

*edit: Yes smokes at start up and a little while idleing
Old 04-14-2008, 09:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

If its like the valve covers on mine, there is only a little piece near where the PVC hose enters the valve cover. Otherwise there are only 3 small partitions on my valve covers. (nothing removable)

When checking your valve seals, be sure to make sure the little spring is still around the rubber. I broke one the other day when doing my seals and I found out they are necessary for slight tension on the valve stem. If one is missing, take one from an old seal. Its easy enough and takes a matter of seconds to do.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:30 AM

There were plates that where riveted in, I had to grind the rivets off to get those plates off. The covers now fit. Will I find out if I just remove the blowback hose at the intake manifold and see if oil is coming out the hose? That would be easier than removing the rockers and all.
Thanks for the Replies
Old 04-14-2008, 12:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well that would not explain the oil going out the tail pipe. If the PCV system is screwed, you will get oil in your intake and TB. I mean there is already oil in the top of the head, you need to find out why its getting past the rings and into the exhaust.

(valve seals or rings)
Old 04-14-2008, 01:29 PM

Well If oil gets into the intake, then it can come in throught the intake valves and get burnt there. Or thats the way I can see it.
I will, pop the valve covers off and have a looksee first and then a leakdown test.
Thanks for the replies