A wierd post-mod problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 09:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A wierd post-mod problem

Recently had the 98 TA modified/maintained, as follows:

Dart Heads, Lunati cam, fuel pump, timing chain, Weiand intake, Comp lifters,
valve covers, necessary gaskets, dual friction clutch, and had the computer reprogrammed.

I realize that this isn't a detailed list, but I'm trying to be brief and I think my problem arises from the physical installation (or possibly the "cheap" computer work) done by a local mechanic.

Anyway, other than needing a longer warm-up the car runs pretty good, but once it gets warmed up and you really get into it, the problem occurs...

The speedometer and tachometer will beat back and forth and the voltage (via dash and radar detector monitoring) will fluctuate rapidly from 12.2 to 13 volts. The car is runs good about 90% of the time when this happens, but if you really get on it, sometimes the engine will cut out, die and instantly start back up.

Also, cruising at 80, bumps in the road will also cause the speedo and tach to beat back and forth with no performance issues.

It's driving me nuts. Had it back to the mechanic and he thinks it is a loose ground somewhere, says that he has checked everything, and can't find it.

The car with ~97K has various bolt-ons and had no problems before this. Anyone have any ideas. I would greatly appreciate anything.

Ask some questions because this pitiful explanation is not a very good description. Thanks, in advance.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:43 AM
TECH Veteran

I was thinking the loose ground also. There is a ground cable (??) on the back of the driver side head that is a bitch to access. This is where I would check first.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:32 AM
Teching In

Thanks, Robert... I am at a loss, just such an odd issue... Thanks for the advice... We'll check it out and update you...
Old 04-23-2008, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would check all your grouds as well, make sure he got the ones on the back of the head on there. Was it doing this before the new heads/cam?
Old 04-24-2008, 10:08 AM
Teching In

No, before the heads/cam it was running fine, albeit not as strong, but there were no problems...
Old 04-24-2008, 10:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by robertbartsch
I was thinking the loose ground also. There is a ground cable (??) on the back of the driver side head that is a bitch to access. This is where I would check first.
I going to say that this is it also. You may have to scuff up the ground strap to make sure it stays in good contact.