Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible bent Pushrod?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 01:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible bent Pushrod?

So I was screwing around with an e-55 amg yesterday afternoon,I was in 4th around 3k when i wanted to down shift it into 3rd,also i had a monster in the center console cup holder so it was kinda blocking my shifting.But anyways I tried to put it back into third and it wouldn't go right away so I waited til it allowed me well guess what it was 1st at i'm guessing around 50 maybe 55 mph the car slammed back so hard tires were screaming car was kicking back and forth as if I was doing a burnt out,I took it out as fast as i realized it.Now I'm just worried that maybe I might of bent a pushrod due to a mechanical over rev?But here's the thing I don't think it went past 6k and no cel,no ticking and the car don't seem to be running any rougher but I'm still worried I might still have a slightly bent pushrod?Or maybe I'm just worring to much?So what do you guys think?
Old 05-11-2008, 01:52 PM
On The Tree

no noise, no bent pushrod. you will hear a bent pushrod, you are lucky
Old 05-11-2008, 01:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you didn't notice anything weird, you should be fine. If you're still worried, pull your valve covers, unbolt all the rockers, and check each pushrod. Shouldn't take too long.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:56 PM
Teching In

No ticking and the fact it didnt rev past 6k makes me think you are fine. No unusual noise from the engine or anything? Pushrods are easy enough to pull out so you could just pull them and roll them on a known flat surface. Of course if youre gonna have them out anyway... well, you know.

I feel sorry for your first gear syncro lol.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:04 PM
Teching In

Yea I know I was also worried about my first gear syncro to but i didn't forcfully put it in first,And yea i'll just keep an ear on it and see if any weiRd noises start to pop up,but it scared the **** out of me when it happened!I felt so bad for the W.I was like thats it i don't deserve this car i'm an idiot!!
Old 05-11-2008, 02:20 PM
Teching In

Well if it helps any Ive done the accidental 2-1 shift and 3-2 shift, but I have hardened pushrods. I would suggest a pro 5.0 shifter to help avoid this, a bit expensive but worth it in my book.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think youll be fine cause i did it in my car twice in the 1st week i had it but i went from 3rd to second when i was racing somebody lol putting in a shifter helped me a lot. I prefer the b&m ripper shifter. Also my brother went from 3rd to 2nd at the track n screwed his motor up pretty bad. He bent nearly every pushrod on the drivers side of his motor n he also bent a lot of valves but we still drove it home from the track which is over 40 miles away. That just shows you the durability of an ls1 lol
Old 05-11-2008, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

the pro 5.0 helps a lot I had 4 bent pushrods when we started tearing my motor down and they were bad not bent like roll em on the floor to see if their bent they were bent I wanna say over a 1/4 " and there was no noise but the car ran out of power at 5300 rpms you will feel it when it runs out
Old 05-11-2008, 08:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most of the time you wont have a ticking noise if you bend a push rod because your push rod are preloaded in the lifter .080" But if its bent enough it can bind in the push rod guild holes in the heads and cause the push rod to hang or drag and not let it contact to rocker arm to cause a ticking noise.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:19 PM
TECH Addict

My car didn't make any noises either after a pretty bad 3-2, that the car even shut off from how high it revved. No noise car still ran like a champ, turns out when i swapped my cam one of my pushrods were bent. And it was noticeable to the point i didn't need to roll it on a flat surface, just staring at it was bad enough. I say take off the covers and check them out just be safe.
-Joel
Old 05-12-2008, 01:03 AM
On The Tree

You thought that was crazy, one time i was going about 90 in 3rd and in the midst of hitting 4th gear i pushed it in second. I simply don't know how it was possible for me to go straight back to second after going 90, but i let off the clutch and it sounded like my engine exploded. In milliseconds i realized what happened and pushed it back in, i hope i didn't **** up anything, but i doubt it. I think you're probably fine if you pushed it back in quick enough. It wouldn't hurt to check though. I am probably going to too actually.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:06 AM
On The Tree

Now that i think about it, when i have my engine running i do hear a ticking, not too loud... but distinct, ****. Now i'm worried.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:22 AM
On The Tree

I've broken a pushrod by missing the 1-2 shift. If you have no valvetrain noise, then you're ok.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:03 PM
Teching In

Well update brought the car to work and plugged in the tech 2,No codes in the pcm and no constant misfires when watching the misfire data display.The misfires would jump all over the cylinders maybe 2 in cyl#1 then Maybe 4 in Cyl#6 you get the idea nothing really consistent in any of the cylinders.I also really don't feel any sort of powerloss either towards redline so I'm guessing I'm okay.Maybe when I can come up with some extra $$$ I'll just replace them for the hell of it.Thanks for all the opinions guys great help.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by greinder03
no noise, no bent pushrod. you will hear a bent pushrod, you are lucky
False.. I bent a pushrod and didnt hear a thing. I mechanically over revved it then the car began to have a stutter in it. Pulled the valvecovers and had one really bent pushrod.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:50 PM
TECH Veteran

^Same here... It looked like you put it thru a pipe bender!! I didn't notice much noise with my car, but I had 6 bent push rods and two 'lashed pistons from over rev and floating the valves... Check em to be safe. Same thing happened to me... Almost... Went to second and I guess I was going to fast.. Just a quick BRAAAAAP was all it took...
Old 05-12-2008, 08:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ls1Rookie
Well update brought the car to work and plugged in the tech 2,No codes in the pcm and no constant misfires when watching the misfire data display.The misfires would jump all over the cylinders maybe 2 in cyl#1 then Maybe 4 in Cyl#6 you get the idea nothing really consistent in any of the cylinders.I also really don't feel any sort of powerloss either towards redline so I'm guessing I'm okay.Maybe when I can come up with some extra $$$ I'll just replace them for the hell of it.Thanks for all the opinions guys great help.
Just because you don't feel or hear anything wrong doesn't mean theres no problem. To be on the safe side i suggest you take off the covers and give it a quick look to be on the safe side. I rather fork up money for brand new set of pushrods, and have to fork up a ton of money for an engine that took a crap because i assumed the worst was behind me. Im telling you my car ran the same, sounded the same, and no codes went off. Yet it revved so high that i freaked and the car shut itself off, and i was freaking out when it happened. Go figure everything seemed fine till i changed my cam, and found that crooked bastard taking up space in my engine. What am i saying i have that same bastard on my desk with my pens let me fgo take a picture of him.
-Joel
Old 05-12-2008, 08:30 PM
TECH Addict

There you go, thats a pretty nice bend. I believe there were 1 or 2 more that had a bend to them, but to realize they weren't straight i had to roll them on a flat surface. This f*cker was obvious the moment he came out of my car, so i suggest you check yours.
-Joel
Old 05-13-2008, 10:17 AM
Teching In

Yea I think this weekend for the hell of it i'm gonna pull them out and check I'll check back with updates and pics if any of them are bent.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3 of mine were bent after an over-rev... here's one of em... no need to roll it on a table