Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head cam swap= no idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 10:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head cam swap= no idle

Hey i just did my head and cam swap and the car will not idle on its own i have to keep my foot on the gas for it to run. I also have to give it gas just to stat it up its like a carbator car to start it up. Is this just cuz it hasnt been tuned yet but i dont know how to get it to the tunner if i cant get it to idle.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ls1slow
Hey i just did my head and cam swap and the car will not idle on its own i have to keep my foot on the gas for it to run. I also have to give it gas just to stat it up its like a carbator car to start it up. Is this just cuz it hasnt been tuned yet but i dont know how to get it to the tunner if i cant get it to idle.
Most likley yes because it has not been tuned... and unless you wanna fight the car gettin it to the shop you are goin to have to trailer it..
Old 05-17-2008, 11:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

did you drill the throttle blade ? and yes it will need a tune to idle properly , it should drive ok , just have to keep it running at stop lights etc.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

DO NOT DRILL THE THROTTLE BLADE! you do not need to do that just get it tuned. have it towed there if you cant trailer it
Old 05-18-2008, 01:25 AM
Staging Lane

yea i thought it was just tune but i hear so many first start up viedos and theres can idle
Old 07-17-2008, 04:32 PM
Staging Lane

If you have to give it gas for it to fire up check pushrod size they might be to long! This is because both of the valves are staying open.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:05 AM
On The Tree

I had the same problem right after my H/C install. My car wouldnt stay idling until it got up to temp.

After the base tune, the car was fine and much more driveable. After the dyno tune, the car had the exact same feel and driveability as it did before the cam and heads.

Get a good tune and you should be all set.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ls1slow
yea i thought it was just tune but i hear so many first start up viedos and theres can idle
did you solve this yet?

Mine did the same thing after cam swap....turned out to be a huge vaccum leak. Pluged it up...and it idled, with no tune.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TUNE TUNE TUNE! After i do a head/cam install i adjust the TB screw to make it idle . If you have a Stock TB pull the screw out and put it in the other way so you can adjust it better Works everytime and do not drill your blade! Make sure you put the blade back to normal or just let the tuner now that you did it so it would idle.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:40 PM
11 Second Club

when I built my dads LS1 last spring, it started right up. had a map sensor code. soon as I cleared the code with my tech 2, it stalled and was hard to start. shut it off, next start up set the map code again, and again it would idle. yes, you'll need a tune for it to run ok. Im sure every setup will be a little diff. how the stock tune will react.