factory stock cam is also a pretty decent daily driver
Old 05-21-2008, 01:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ yeah, just hit it with a 150 shot.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Most will say "Mine is the best". However, most have not experianced a variety of cams, so all they know is that they spent a lot of money, and their's is the best because that is what they need to believe to go to sleep at night.

However, that being said... MINE IS BY THE BEST CAM.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dazman
think of it this way... every cam you have prolly heard of is TINY. there is no big, no small... no medium just regular cams... a LARGE cam would be one with .950 lift like in a cup car. a cup car will idle, it will go through traffic, it would even be able to have brakes when its idleing!!!!!!

get the largest cam for your car that is an off the shelf grind and get the damn car tuned!!!!!! ( most important part ) you will not be dissapointed. ive had everything from hot cam. to asa cam, to ms4- all idled, all ran, all had brakes, all bucked a little but was very driveable.

just get one with enough overlap that it will sound good... ms4 sounds WICKED... as does trex
Ok... Ill be sure and do that. Right after i descreen my MAF
Old 05-21-2008, 03:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
224 is the best DD cam... with a good all around powerband... it's been proven over and over...

not saying it's the most powerful... but for a DD car, it's perfect...

but like the guys stated above, every setup is different... I made really good power with my 224r cam and I'm happy with it... Don't think I would change it as of right now...

It may be a "perfect" DD but to say it's the best DD cam is just wrong. Best for you maybe but for me personally and my particular setup the "best" is in my sig.Haha.

Everybody's idea of "best" and "perfect" is different. Not trying to argue just saying this is subjective and you cannot speak in absolutes. This is many peoples opinion but cannot "FACTUALLY" be proven.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
It may be a "perfect" DD but to say it's the best DD cam is just wrong. Best for you maybe but for me personally and my particular setup the "best" is in my sig.Haha.

Everybody's idea of "best" and "perfect" is different. Not trying to argue just saying this is subjective and you cannot speak in absolutes. This is many peoples opinion but cannot "FACTUALLY" be proven.
ok... maybe my wording isn't to your liking... but...

straight from JRP's cam sticky...

"- If you want to be a lazy **** and not do your own research to find the cam that best suits your application you can just pick up a tr224 114 cam which is the quintessential all around great daily driver cam"

only thing I can prove is my dyno graph in my sig... not bad for a "small" cam... and it has EXCELLENT street manners... as a matter of fact, you hardly even realize it's there... that's my definition of a GREAT DD... great gains, great driveability...
Old 05-21-2008, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

"- If you want to be a lazy **** and not do your own research to find the cam that best suits your application you can just pick up a tr224 114 cam which is the quintessential all around great daily driver cam"

only thing I can prove is my dyno graph in my sig... not bad for a "small" cam... and it has EXCELLENT street manners... as a matter of fact, you hardly even realize it's there... that's my definition of a GREAT DD... great gains, great driveability...
You bolded the wrong part.

I think my cam is better than the tr 224 114. More power, no surging/bucking. I think that the tr224 is a little outdated. It is really small by todays standard. Just my .02
Old 05-21-2008, 04:47 PM
TECH Regular

Best cam? that is a good one.

Best for what? DD, Weekend warrior, occasional drag race, dedicated drag race car, occasional HPDE, road racing, for what car and what hp?

I think it is the other way around, you TELL the builder what you are going to do with your car, and let them make a strong suggestion
Old 05-21-2008, 06:13 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DanWS6
If there is enough interest, I could possibly set up a website where people could input their data and anyone could view it. They could attach their dyno graphs and post comments about their setup, etc.
Great idea.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think the biggest debate lies in what people think is tolerable. I have a cheatr. It doesn't surge or buck but it's definitely not a big power cam. I foolishly chose it because I initially didn't want any lope. 224 has been around a long time and most people are now saying that cams like the VRX3 re an upgrade. I know that this topic has been beat to death time after time. This is why I think DanWS6's idea is a good one. We could even overlay the dyno graphs if we get enough feedback. We just have to set paramaters like no surge, no bucking. Then one could simply say. ... "this cam is a proven performer and here's the dyno to prove it."
Old 05-22-2008, 11:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wasn't trying to pick on you. I have actually followed your build and think you have an AWESOME setup I was just trying to make the point that everybody's driving habits, tolerance and setup are a little different. It is basically up to individual taste
Old 05-22-2008, 09:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
I wasn't trying to pick on you. I have actually followed your build and think you have an AWESOME setup I was just trying to make the point that everybody's driving habits, tolerance and setup are a little different. It is basically up to individual taste
i know you weren't trying to pick on me... and I take NOTHING on LS1DRAMA.com personal

and
Old 05-22-2008, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

still would like to c that exel sheet filled out with all off the shelf cams would be a neat thing to have and show