Sponsored by:

Engine Builders - Listen-up

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 02:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Engine Builders - Listen-up

PSJ,
Who do I contact about Dan White's custom head studs?
Old 08-14-2003, 03:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's his email address: indacalinc@attbi.com
Dave is a great guy to deal with. He goes by formulation on the board.
Bring that car down to Albuquerque, I would to see that SS run down our strip.
J
Old 08-14-2003, 03:29 PM
TECH Resident

I sent him email at three addresses. Thanks.
Old 08-14-2003, 04:53 PM
TECH Resident

If we had these studs, we would install them tonight. As of 4:00 PM MST, can't find Dave White.

Old 08-14-2003, 05:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am very impressed at the technical prowess of the people replying to this post. I have radical views to looking at things like this. First is 1300hp needed to meet performance goals for your vehicle? Probably not, so back off on power to get some reliability. If that is not a option than o-ring block, copper gasket and grind reciever groove in heads. Next apply nitrous or boost linearly to lower spikes of cylinder pressure that may expose clamping deficiencies.Application of power is just as important as ultimate power number.Stock thickness, unmachined 6.0 heads should have enough structural integrity to handle your needs, cast iron for sure, aluminum maybe.
Old 08-14-2003, 07:57 PM
Teching In

you need to talk to other shops like
East Side
Cartech
ARE
I think all have firgured out how to do what you want I heard from one of the guys who had his car done by cartech that EastSide has the parts to do what you what
good luck
Old 08-14-2003, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

oh yeah and if you really want to have something to brag about then make some real power naturally aspirated. Anybody can build an engine that will print big numbers with a big shot of spray, but it takes a real builder to make big NA numbers.
That is possibly the silliest thing I have read on this forum LOL!!
So let me get this straight. You dont think it is easy to make big power with a power adder, but you do think that anyone can build 700 hp non c5r headed engines?
THAT is the silliest thing I have ever read.
So I guess that Warren Johnson, and Greg Anderson are just chumps and any of these power adder engine builders could just dominate Pro-Stock racing if they wanted to but that it wouldnt be as much of a challenge as building turbo, or nitrous engines?
Or maybe Winston Cup engine builders are just hillbillys compared to the power adder guys too. You are probably right I think I will start building WC engines because it is so easy to make power NA.
Oh wait a minute this is the real world where the most competitive forms of Drag racing and Stock car racing in the country have to use NA engines.
Come on man. The point is that in the LS1 community you will never push the limits of the LS1 trying to make NA power. Therefore no matter what you do you can keep going up. There is limits to everything. I am not talking about making just really large numbers.

For comparisons sake you must understand that with a power adder you have to over come what is being described in this thread. You will never have to overcome such obstacles NA, therefore you will never have as much time or effort in an NA motor as you will a power adder motor. Fact is that to build a motor that will stya together takes more then any NA combo.

You never experience problems like this with NA cars. You can slap any combo in it and make slightly more power then the next guy....but never reach the limits of the block and heads themselves.

Also remember that in a power adder setup you have to build an awesome motor (just like NA guys), plus you have to build it to hold up, and design a system for you power adder. Meaning there are manyt more steps for power adder guys as there are for the NA builder.

In conclusion, you must understand that I am not just speaking of numbers (that is childish) a NA guyt will never make more then a power adder (maxed out). I am saying that it takes more to harness the power and design an engine that will hold up...where as NA doesn't have this problem.

Old 08-14-2003, 10:20 PM
Teching In

oh yeah and if you really want to have something to brag about then make some real power naturally aspirated. Anybody can build an engine that will print big numbers with a big shot of spray, but it takes a real builder to make big NA numbers.
That is possibly the silliest thing I have read on this forum LOL!!
So let me get this straight. You dont think it is easy to make big power with a power adder, but you do think that anyone can build 700 hp non c5r headed engines?
THAT is the silliest thing I have ever read.
So I guess that Warren Johnson, and Greg Anderson are just chumps and any of these power adder engine builders could just dominate Pro-Stock racing if they wanted to but that it wouldnt be as much of a challenge as building turbo, or nitrous engines?
Or maybe Winston Cup engine builders are just hillbillys compared to the power adder guys too. You are probably right I think I will start building WC engines because it is so easy to make power NA.
Oh wait a minute this is the real world where the most competitive forms of Drag racing and Stock car racing in the country have to use NA engines.
Come on man. The point is that in the LS1 community you will never push the limits of the LS1 trying to make NA power. Therefore no matter what you do you can keep going up. There is limits to everything. I am not talking about making just really large numbers.

For comparisons sake you must understand that with a power adder you have to over come what is being described in this thread. You will never have to overcome such obstacles NA, therefore you will never have as much time or effort in an NA motor as you will a power adder motor. Fact is that to build a motor that will stya together takes more then any NA combo.

You never experience problems like this with NA cars. You can slap any combo in it and make slightly more power then the next guy....but never reach the limits of the block and heads themselves.

Also remember that in a power adder setup you have to build an awesome motor (just like NA guys), plus you have to build it to hold up, and design a system for you power adder. Meaning there are manyt more steps for power adder guys as there are for the NA builder.

In conclusion, you must understand that I am not just speaking of numbers (that is childish) a NA guyt will never make more then a power adder (maxed out). I am saying that it takes more to harness the power and design an engine that will hold up...where as NA doesn't have this problem.

Im sorry but you are just wrong. I know you have your opinion but that doesnt change the fact that it is much more challenging to build an NA engine that can win in a competitive class. That is why you only see REAL pros winning in the all motor classes. There is no doubt that an NA motor will never make the power of a power adder. But to think that you will never have as much time or effort into a succesful NA engine just shows how uninformed you are. Yes you do have to build a durable package to hold up to the power levels a power adder engine can produce, and yes there are problems associated with trying to get that much power from an ls1 which was never designed for that kind of output. But if you want to avoid problems you should buy the kind of parts made for that level of power, or you could try using a progressive nitrous system and not loading the cylinder pressure up so much at such a low rpm. This guys problems stem from parts that arent up to the job and some pretty poor ideas about how to set up and use his nitrous system. NA engine setups are much more critical than on power adder setups. The perfect heads and cam and exhaust systems, etc, etc, are much more difficult to perfect. On a power adder engine you just need to build an engine with good parts that are matched fairly well and pour the power adder to it. When the magazines can throw together a 1000+ hp turbo 302 stroker that only proves my point.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:28 PM
On The Tree

That is your problem. You keep saying every other manufacturer's motor. (i.e. 302 ford)

You are not going to do that with an LS1 and keep it together. The person that does is going to have umphteen more hours trying to get that then any NA engine builder. You also refer to classes. That is only one class, and by comparison a power adder class can be just as competitive...what you state is merely an opinion (i.e. more competitive).

Also when you talk about pro's. You forget that they have just as much of a time building their Nitrous (etc) cars then NA cars...they don't merely slap something together!

Old 08-15-2003, 08:52 AM
TECH Resident

I am a private owner who would really like to arrange a group purchase of ARP's 9/16" head studs. One set costs $1,000, but 10 sets only costs approx. $200/each.

See post in Group Purchase section.

Quick Reply: Engine Builders - Listen-up