Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a Mild Cam worth the Spend

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 08:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is a Mild Cam worth the Spend

OK,I know this has beat to death, But I really want some opinions, PLEASE.I am new to the LS thing, I am putting a 99 Camaro stock LS1 in my 69 Camaro.Taking out a 454 Ho BB (mild Fogger)IS it worth the spend on a mild cam perhaps the Thunder 224, or CC 265, etc?? Yes I'll spend for the Springs & pushrods, I am not changing the heads, but plan to late change the Intake.1.this is a show car, not racing but I really enjoy a little fun while driving, since I'm leaving a BB used to lots of torque. Yes my buddy & I split the cost & own a HP Tuner. He's telling me not to spend the 2K on the cam, intake,TB etc, due to the performance of this LS1 (but this is the guy that just put a 6K Turbo on a Brand new SS Trail Blazer) I'm not trying to be the fastest thing out there, but don't like being totally spanked if Grandpa comes by in his Vette ( no offense intended to Vette guys) Your Opinions, thanks

http://s276.photobucket.com/albums/k...customs1/cars/
Old 06-09-2008, 09:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

I loved my stock motor and 221/221 cam. It had power everywhere I made 400/395 with it and the only reason I didn't go back with it again is because I'm now solid roller. If I end up with something else LS1 based to DD this is the cam that would be going back in.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:52 AM
On The Tree

Yes it would be well worth it. The TR 224 is one of the best "smaller" cams out there. They make great power without giving up alot of the torque that bigger cam seem to with stock heads. Also if you plan on "taking it to grandpas vet" then your going to need a cam and some bolt-ons to do that.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:11 AM
Launching!

If you are near a good tuner, I would say no.
If you don't have access to a good tuner like some of us, stick with a small cam.