Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me identify these two sensors.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 06:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me identify these two sensors.

I'm hoping one is the crank sensor cause I can't find it. The other I'm not even sure where it should go lol.

Also in that area where the starter goes, not sure if there is suposed to be a plug in there or a plug in the front driver side of the block. I only have one plug left and both spots have the same thread but I don't know what they are for.
By the starter(has the plug in it):

And then by the front driverside of block:

Does that get a plug, sensor or nothing?

Thanks for any info you guys can give me. I'm getting real close to firing this thing up, after this just the tranny left.
Old 06-28-2008, 06:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Smaller one is the crank sensor and the larger one is the cam sensor.
Old 06-28-2008, 06:28 PM
TECH Junkie

The long one is useless on an LSX it's an LS1 Cam Position Sensor

the short on is your crank position sensor which goes in that hole above the starter

the third threaded hole i don't have a damn clue
Old 06-28-2008, 07:55 PM
kp
8 Second Club

As stated the cam sensor (the bigger one) is no longer used. The cam sensor is on the timing cover on LS2/LSx etc.

You need the threaded plug in both places, the one in the RR is right where the crank sensor goes.

The threaded hole in the left front is an oil galley, you can leave it open if you want 6qts of oil on the floor in about 10 seconds after you start it
Old 06-28-2008, 08:24 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks guys, always get quick answers here. I can't believe I just about put my whole car together from the ground up with the help of this site.

That's perfect that the one is the crank sensor(the only one I knew I was missing) and the other is the cam sensor which makes sence because I already replaced that with the new ls2 set-up.

kp,
Your saying I need to plug both the hole in the rear right, where I have the plug now and I will need to plug that hole in the front? That means I must have used one of the other plugs in the wrong spot. The lsx block came with plugs but only showed where to put the 4 big ones, two in front of the block and two in the back of the block, that was a no brainer because they are the only holes that size lol.. The rest I've been trying to figure out. I'll have to go over them again and see if I can figure out why I'm missing a plug.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:38 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by rufretic
Thanks guys, always get quick answers here. I can't believe I just about put my whole car together from the ground up with the help of this site.

That's perfect that the one is the crank sensor(the only one I knew I was missing) and the other is the cam sensor which makes sence because I already replaced that with the new ls2 set-up.

kp,
Your saying I need to plug both the hole in the rear right, where I have the plug now and I will need to plug that hole in the front? That means I must have used one of the other plugs in the wrong spot. The lsx block came with plugs but only showed where to put the 4 big ones, two in front of the block and two in the back of the block, that was a no brainer because they are the only holes that size lol.. The rest I've been trying to figure out. I'll have to go over them again and see if I can figure out why I'm missing a plug.
Oil pressure sender goes in somewhere so maybe thats why you are a plug short, but yes you need to have a plug in both of those holes. The crank sensor goes in the unthreaded hole by the starter.

Maybe they just shorted you a plug..
Old 06-28-2008, 09:46 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by kp
Oil pressure sender goes in somewhere so maybe thats why you are a plug short, but yes you need to have a plug in both of those holes. The crank sensor goes in the unthreaded hole by the starter.

Maybe they just shorted you a plug..
I havn't found a spot for the long tan plastic senor, I think it's oil level down there by the starter either, someone told me it goes in the oil pan, so I just figured my moroso pan didn't come with a spot for it. Maybe it goes where I have the plug now and I use that plug for the front?

Here, this one:
Old 06-28-2008, 10:49 PM
9 Second Club

That tan sensor goes in the LS1 oil pan and the plug with the purple rubber seal is the crank sensor plug.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:17 AM
10 Second Club

My LSX was short a plug to (or their all like this), but like KP said, you need an oil sensor somewhere so I put it in the front threaded hole.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:24 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by DanZ28
My LSX was short a plug to (or their all like this), but like KP said, you need an oil sensor somewhere so I put it in the front threaded hole.
What kind of oil sensor? I have the one up in the stock ls2 valley cover.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:54 PM
10 Second Club

I have an aftermarket valley cover so no where to put an oil sensor up there. I used the stock LS2 oil sensor in that hole up front, screws right in but a tight fit if your alt is in stock location.