Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad spring?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 10:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad spring?

I recently had a cam like th G5X2 installed and after about 2 days of driving I developed what I felt was a high rpm miss during a run.On inspection of my spark plugs the #2 cylinder plug was beat on by the valve.All of the other plugs were in fine condition other than the fat that they had been running really rich.Could a faulty spring have caused the valve to float prematurely? The springs are the REV dual springs and the specs on the cam on the card are as follows.....232/240 dur .595/.608 lift 112LSA
Please help me figure out what the hell happened. I had been shifting the car at 6800rpm and I had not missed a gear when the problem developed.
Old 08-21-2003, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Bad spring?

Its not possible for the valve to hit the spark plug. If the plug is beat up, it was either severe detonation or something foreign got onto the motor.
Old 08-21-2003, 04:43 PM
Teching In

How do u figure it is not possible for the valve to hit the spark plug? If I had a picture of te plug I would post it on here and u can clearly tell that it was not detonation or something foreign.The ground strap was folded into where the electrode is and the electrode was bent down and in. Does that sound like detonation to you.....? Didn't think so. I am looking for helpful insight not smart@ss remarks
Old 08-21-2003, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am looking for helpful insight not smart@ss remarks
That attitude is a good way to get it.
Old 08-22-2003, 12:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

How do u figure it is not possible for the valve to hit the spark plug? If I had a picture of te plug I would post it on here and u can clearly tell that it was not detonation or something foreign.The ground strap was folded into where the electrode is and the electrode was bent down and in. Does that sound like detonation to you.....? Didn't think so. I am looking for helpful insight not smart@ss remarks
dude chill bro, he is right, there is no way for the valve to hit the plug from floating the valves, detonation will crack the ceramic on the plug, it will also break a ring land off the piston that will bounce around and bend the electrode, unless there was another foriegn object that got in your cyl, that is the only way to bend the electrode
I hope you dont go off on me like you did the other guy that was just trying to help. thats what he was doing trying to help PUNK
Old 08-22-2003, 12:38 AM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ROTFL ... thats a GREAT way to get the help your looking for ... you can now officially consider this thread a waste of time.

Let me ask you something, if you know everything, why did you ask the question ... smart@ss.
Old 08-22-2003, 05:30 AM
Teching In

You know what I apoligize for my comment to my LS1hauls, but I honestly don't see how I could have anytype of detonation seeing how the plugs are completely covered in black soot and smell badly of unburned fuel.ALl of my plugs are this way and only 1 has had this type of damage.Which leads me to believe that detonation has not occured.Are there any other possibilities that something else has occured that caused this condition other than something banging around and beating up the plug? The head will probably come off this weekend so we will find out what happened,and most likely you guys are correct. On a side note I post on here because there are a lot of guys with very good explanations to situations that others may not have encountered but I am very cautious as to make any other posts seeing how quickly some members are to jump on a bandwagon to make other members feel incompetent.