Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mis-shifted 3rd to 2nd, engine underpowered now?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 09:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the compression test looks bad i'll be putting on some new heads, havent decided which ones. trying to keep the price around 1200 assembled, I already had a lifting problem with the headgasket when I was running nitrous on the dyno without any fans. Overheated and spewed a bit of coolant. So thats another reason why i should probably go heads/cam. I'll post up when I finally get to crack her open
Old 07-26-2008, 09:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tenacious z
Your an idiot. He doesnt have to get into pullin the heads yet..jesus christ. He probably just needs to pull the valve covers. Its most likely a bent pushrod. I did the same thing but went from the top of 2nd back into 1st. I still drove mine after which helped me diagnose the problem. **** happens...if you've never missed a gear then your shiftin like a *****.
Agree. Pull the valvecovers and check for bent pushrods (using the roll on glass method) Good chance that is your prob.

Damn near everyone's missed a shift at one point. I went for 3rd when I 1st got my Camaro 6 ears ago and hit 1st. Revved to 6900. Wasn't happy. Luckily I didn't do any damage.

Either way, pull the valve covers...check things out. Go from there. Good luck
Old 07-27-2008, 07:30 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

keep in mind, if the compresstion is bad, it could still be just a pushrod...
Old 07-27-2008, 11:34 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by landonew
Yea, maybe your a great shifter but it is not uncommon for newbs to shift into a lower gear and mechanically overrev. And pulling heads is unnecessary to change the pushrods (which is the most likely culprit).

The reason people got on your *** is because your post gave us the impression that
1) You are a ******** that is jumping down a newbs throat w/o being provoked
2) You don't really know what you are talking about

Unfortunately both characteristics are things that this site trys to avoid. Being a ******** and flamming newbs for making common mistakes is bad because it discourages them from asking questions (which is sorta the point of this site). Also, making suggestions that are based on an inadequate knowledge base lowers the aggregate quality of the feedback people recieve on this site. Please don't be offended by this, but keep it in mind in future posts.
Couldn't have said it any better myself. When I missed the shift in my car I was still running the stock shifter with a Speed Inc short angled handle. Now when I first got this handle I loved it. I started to get more and more comfortable with it and started shifting harder. The one problem that I noticed though after I hit the wrong gear is that, when shifting hard if I didnt really push it towards third gear(most of the time we all just push forward) due to the geometry of the angle it wanted to go back towards first. This might not be the case for all but it sure was for me. Now I have an MGW with their straight stick and hopin this proves to work better. Firing up the car for the first time with the new setup so we will see.
Old 07-27-2008, 02:49 PM
11 Second Club

i did the 3rd to 2nd shift in my 99 vette.. everyone said id was pushrods, I didnt bend a single pushrod but I had 4 bent valves.....

chances are its the valves...
Old 07-27-2008, 02:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by vetteboyc5
i did the 3rd to 2nd shift in my 99 vette.. everyone said id was pushrods, I didnt bend a single pushrod but I had 4 bent valves.....

chances are its the valves...

How was it running after you bent the valves?
Old 07-27-2008, 03:01 PM
11 Second Club

you ever heard a subaru WRX? mine sound just like one when I was pulling off... I drove it 30 miles home too.. I couldnt put it in 6th and the entire car was shaking.

I bent 4 valves(2 intake, 2 exhaust) my stock pushrods wernt even bent but i replaced them too.

I had the heads rebuilt by a local shop for like 200 with 4 new valves and I had it fixed in 2 days including turn arround time(It was my DD)
Old 07-27-2008, 04:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by back in black
DO NOT DRIVE IT AGAIN. REPEAT. DO NOT DRIVE IT AGAIN.

first of all, i dont know why you would be flogging it like that after missing a shift and noticing something wrong.

pull the valve covers and check for bent pushrods, and any other problem.............naw. forget that, go ahead and pull the intake, accessories and heads. cause your gonna need some work.

one more thing.......learn to drive.
Now that we found the Jackass of this thread. (Theres always one) He probably has a bent pushrod thats all. Just pull the valve covers and check it out. Dont listen to this jackass. Even though he is the best shifter in the world, dont take this guy wrong he cant help but be a dick.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:42 PM
Teching In

been there done that i put eye browes on all 8 but i hit 2nd from 3rd at 6300 so it prob saw near 8000
Old 10-02-2008, 07:57 PM
Launching!

Well i just pulled the valve covers and checked the pushrods, they dont appear to be bent at all, i used the roll on glass method and checking them next to each other, How much would it usually bend? Also how do i go about putting them back in and the valvetrain back together?
Old 10-02-2008, 08:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I'm a veteran and Is till managed the 3-2 shift deciding a romp in the car AFTER driving for 4 hours is what I needed to wake me up... luckily I have 2 things on my side that I had done before hand.

First I already had upgraded dual springs and hardened pushrods, seeing 7k pegged on the tachometer was painful to see though.

Second, I bought heads weeks before this mistake so while it drives fine and still has plenty of power, I expect to see an eyelash.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Black01M6SS
I agree. Pull the valve covers off, pull the rockers out, and take the pushrods out. Most likey it is just a bent pushrod if they are still the factory ones.
X2 if they are OEM.

Chromemoly and all bets are off. Valve will usually bend before PR.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:27 PM
Launching!

well i pulled and checked em, they appear fine? Im gonna put new ones back in, but how do i go about doing it? Do i need to guage it and torque it correctly right?
Old 10-02-2008, 11:29 PM
Launching!

well i pulled and checked em, they appear fine? Im gonna put new ones back in, but how do i go about doing it? Do i need to guage it and torque it correctly right???
Old 10-02-2008, 11:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh man, if thats the case, you need to pull the heads off and have them gone through. You most likely bent the valves, so putting it back together with new pushrods will not solve your problem. It appears you are very new at this, and the best piece of advice is to do your research, and don't skimp on ANYTHING. So, pull the heads, it doesn't take that long as long as you have all of the tools, and you don't need to pull the waterpump which is nice.

Best of luck to you.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:12 AM
TECH Regular

check into some cromoly pushrods because when my car did that i had 3 bent pushrods due to a bad 6-speed... haven't had problems since but my problems were the same as yours man and the car feels weaker after it happens not all but most of the weak points are the upper ends supposedly check the lifters to goodluck
Old 10-03-2008, 01:17 AM
Launching!

Does anyone have a picture of a bent pushrod? If one of mine is bent, its not by much

=[

I hope i dont have to do a head swap
Old 10-03-2008, 04:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

if you've never done this....or at least something similiar with your T56 equipped car you must be God's gift to powershifting....I think whenever anyone has gotten into these cars to begin with, they miss some shifts every now and then....hence people buying short throw shifters all the time to help not miss shifts. Not an uncommon thing, I'm hoping you just bent a pushrod....
Old 10-03-2008, 05:48 AM
11 Second Club

Old 10-03-2008, 07:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Duffster
As mentioned earlier. roll them around on a glass table. It is not always as obvious as ^^^ lol

Quick Reply: Mis-shifted 3rd to 2nd, engine underpowered now?