Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam making engine work harder?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam making engine work harder?

I just got my cam installed and got my car back today. And i was wondering does a cam make your engine work harder? Bcuz i can see how it shakes the **** out of the engine. And if it makes the engine work harder wont that mean the engine wont last as long?
Old 07-30-2008, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

What cam did you get and what are your supporting mods?

To answer your question, no. A cam should give it more power, which would mean the engine would not be working as hard for "normal" driving. However, cams with alot of overlap will idle a bit rough, which is known as cam lope. This is normal, and preferred by some so everyone will know there is a cam in it. In fact, some people actually buy a cam for no other reason other than the sound (which also results in "shake" at idle). Cams with lift higher than the stock cam will work the valvetrain harder, but this should not be confused with the engine laboring (ie working harder). Tuning will minimize the "shake", but will not eliminate it completely. It's the nature of the beast.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:39 PM
Restricted User

Some aftermarket motor mounts should stop that shake for you.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you are worried about getting every last mile possible out of that engine you probably shouldn't run it hard either. If you are not going to run it hard there is no point in having a modded v8 or a v8 at all for that matter. Point is if you want a high performance engine making it "work a little harder" shouldn't be a worry.

To answer your question, any time you make the engine produce more power you are putting more stress on the components in the engine. If that is what you mean by working it harder then yes, a cam makes it work harder. As DaveX said though, when driving normal a more powerful engine will not have to be pushed as hard. How hard you push your engine is up to you.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by socmguy
Some aftermarket motor mounts should stop that shake for you.
yeah i was thinking about that but idk if i wanna pay for new ones.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Motor mounts are not expensive. Its the labor that will kill you though whether you pay someone or do it yourself.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JScamaro
Motor mounts are not expensive. Its the labor that will kill you though whether you pay someone or do it yourself.
Im not really worried about it right now. I'll just put that on mylist of things to do, and thats a long list lol.