Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring Harness Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 12:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring Harness Questions

I don't know if I am posting this in the right forum but my question is..

Can I use a 98 Engine Wiring Harness and PCM on a 99+ motor and vise versa?
(Can I use a 99+ Engine Wiring Harness and PCM on a 98 motor?)

Reason im asking is I had 2 LS1 blocks. 1 a 98 and the other a 2000. The 98 had everything including the harness. I had the 99+ block built but I still need a wiring harness and pcm.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:47 PM
TECH Resident

Yes you can. I have my 98 harness and PCM with a 2007 LS6 block, aftermarket heads, everything. The only stipulation is it is more complicated if you're putting a 98 harness/PCM into a 99+ car. the 98 and 99+ gauge clusters, fuel level sender, and something else I believe are not compatible with the other year. But it looks like you're putting this into your Rx7 so you should be fine since you'll most likely get aftermarket gauges I'm guessing.

If you can afford or find it though it may be worth your while to get that 2000+ harness and PCM though. It all depends what your plans are with the car. The 98 computer isn't the best for tuning. Yes you can tune it, I tune mine with my HPTuners, but it can be fried more easily then the newer models if you try to completely write a new program onto it. Say you add a supercharger/turbocharger and need to add a 2 or 3 bar map. Writing the new program for that map commonly fries the 98 computer. Also with the 99+ years you can tune while the engine is running (you can't with the 98). But I believe if you have a 3 bar map with the 99 computer you can't do this also, but you still can with the 2000+ computers. Reason being is the 98 has little internal RAM, the 99 has more but not quite enough for tuning on the fly and the 3 bar map, and the 2000+ years have even more making this all possible.

But if all you need is some basic calibrations then the 98 computer will work fine for you except again, the engine has to be turned off for any adjustments, all you can do is watch what it's doing while it's running.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:05 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the info.. I think I will go with the 98 harness and pcm