Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

broken rocker arms

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 01:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default broken rocker arms

Was just down at the local parts store and one of the clerks asked me if I knew what would cause all of the rocker arms on a 6.0L to break or crack. He says the engine was rebuilt last year and has 25,000 miles on it since the rebuild. He states that the rockers are Scorpion brand. Claims that he has the rev limiter set at 5500 rpm. Engine just gave up all at once. Lack of oil? Wrong pushrods? Over revved? I would have thought that if it was a mechanical mismatch, that the engine would have let go sooner. Any info I can pass on to him?
Old 08-01-2008, 01:25 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

valve train geometry?, coil bind?.... couple of thoughts, although it's not the first scorpions to break that I've heard about... dont know if its the brand or mismatched valvetrain. wrong install height ? aggressive cam and the springs need to be changed? 25k you said right? maybe the springs should have been checked at 15k? Lot of variables...LOL
Old 08-01-2008, 01:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does the scorps sit on the stock pedistle? if so and how many miles are on the whole motor... and are they the original pedistles? if so it should have broken and bang all the rockers broke!
Old 08-01-2008, 01:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How about overtightening?
Old 08-01-2008, 02:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There was an early problem with Scorpions with the pushrod cup being over-sized and taking too much aluminum out of the rocker. They were failing by the pushrod cup end breaking off. However, I have since seen failures with the corrected design and I personally would steer clear of them.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenuts
There was an early problem with Scorpions with the pushrod cup being over-sized and taking too much aluminum out of the rocker. They were failing by the pushrod cup end breaking off. However, I have since seen failures with the corrected design and I personally would steer clear of them.
Lets see if I can answer all of the questions. Engine was done locally be a very reputable shop, been around for a long time. They did the complete motor so there was no mix and match by the owner. He believes that the pedestals are the originals. Engine has a total of 70,000 miles , 25,000 after the rebuild. States that the rockers are broken/cracked at the pushrod cup so it is starting to look like the Scorpions may have stung again. I reminded him to check geometry, pushrod length, coil bind, etc. Will let you know if he finds the root cause. Thanks for the ideas.