Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with my Head/cam checklist!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 04:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with my Head/cam checklist!!

Hey guys! I finally got my LS1! Car is sick! Got a very nice start to it and I could'nt be more excited. I have the mods in my sig and am gettin ready for the classic head/cam setup! I would really like it if some of you guys could give me some tips on choosing a cam (already read the cam thread just want guys who have actually used specific cams) and making sure I have all the products/tools needed to do the setup. If it helps, I would be perfectly happy with low 12's high 11's all day. I have....

Stock 99 LS1 heads that were CNC'ed.
Comp springs

I know I still need...

Pushrods
Timing chain
Cam (Havn't picked one yet help me out)
Head/cam gasket install kit

If there is anything else you guys know I will need or that is cheap and would be a good idea to do while the car is down...please let me know. Thanks guys.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would def say do a ported ls6 oil pump. You also have to make sure that your springs are the right lift for your cam your choosing. I would also recomend rod bolts if you can but im not sure how expensive they are to do. good luck with the build and get ready to whoop some ***
Old 08-11-2008, 04:32 PM
12 Second Club

I am always ready for that haha. I was told that for the 400-430 rwhp range...rod bolts wouldnt really be needed unless I wanted to push it past the factory redline....I think with a head/cam/tb setup, I can probably nail my high 11 low 12 goal pretty easy with the stock rev, injectors, intake, ect. I will check the comp springs to see what I got to help you guys with what options I have. Also....The Oil pump isnt good enough for a basic head/cam setup? Thanks guys
Old 08-11-2008, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

new lifters
rtv silicone
new oil pump
coolant
new balancer bolt
good puller
weekend
and the most important thing
30 pack of beer!!!
Old 08-11-2008, 04:55 PM
12 Second Club

^ I like your style! I have never heard about the oil pump thing though....I was under the impression that the stock oil pump would be okay?...Am I wrong? Thanks guys. And do you know where I could pick up a kit with most the stuff in it....

I need to be more specific on these lists. I need a list of what I MUST HAVE for the head/cam install. Pretend I dont have anything yet. And then a list of what else I could get as well. Thanks guys.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Your also going to need something to clean the block surface and heads before putting your gaskets on.
New Head Bolts
Fresh Oil Filter and Oil
Rags and maybe a wet vac to clean the water out of the cylinders and bolt holes.
I would talk to PATRICK G about getting you a custom grind for specific application.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:09 PM
TECH Regular

Cam
Pushrods-7.4 for stock heads
Valvesprings- rated to the cam's lift
Oil pump- is a must. Inadequate oiling due to a more aggressive cam will end up having you tear your engine apart again I agree with the above poster. You can get a ls6 oil pump for around $40 from gmdirect and port it yourself in about 20 seconds. Don't spend the extra $100 to get the super duper slp one
Head/Cam gasket/bolt kit- I got mine from WS6store.com for around 290. Comes with all of the gaskets and bolts you need to do a basic swap (includes head bolts)
New balancer bolt $6-10
RTV/Oil/Coolant
Lifters- aren't needed unless you are wrapping it high. When you take the heads off, take the trays out and inspect them, if they are fine re-use them.
New ARP Rod bolts are highly recommended. They tend to be the weak point of the bottom end. They are recommended for anything 500hp+ And with your h/c everyone is usually around 500 flywheel You can pick them up for around $60
Razors to clean the block and head surfaces.
You might need new cam bearings. Again another thing you won't really know until you get your old cam out. These can be bought relatively cheap.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good job on the above posts Most things have been covered. Just get a cam kit from one of our sponsers and it will come with proper springs,seals,locks retainers and you need to make sure you know how to set it up. Proper coil bind is essential to long spring life and make sure seat pressure is correct as it is essential to valvetrain stability.

I like the Melling 10296 hi-volume pump a little better than the LS6 pump. Little better design. I would also do LS7 lifters for sure ($110 or so and LS2 lifter trays $30 or so) as cheap insurance though some on here will argue with me. Heck, I've spent $130 in a titty bar in a night(a looooong time ago)

Edit. Choose a cam that peaks so you can shift at 6500 or less and rod bolts should not be an issue. PM Predator-Z or Patrick G for cam specs (man I must have typed that two dozen times)

Go for it!!

Last edited by SOMbitch; 08-11-2008 at 07:46 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:01 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks for all the help so far guys! I checked the box on the new springs that I have for the CNC'ed heads. They are Comps..The brown ones. I think like 1.25? Not sure if that is rite. I found a nice cam that I want but I did a little research and don't know for sure if it will work. 235-240-600-609 111.5 lobe. It's almost a copy of an ms3. It will keep the power range below 6500 wich is perfect for my project....but it might outrate the springs. What do you guys think...and what cam would be the most aggressive I can go with with these springs? Kinda weird deciding a cam based off the springs instead of the other way around but I have them and they are brand new and I would like to keep the project as stress free and simple as possible. Lets work with what I have.

Here is exactly what I have.....

CNC'ed 99 LS1 heads
Red center bolt Valve Covers
Clean but used valves
Comp 1.25 (brown) Springs

That's it so far. Now based off that list it sounds like I need...

Cam (need ideas as far as exact cam...want as aggressive as I can with those springs)
Pushrods (Can I use stock ones?)
Retainers
locks
seals
oil pump
h/c LS6 ported oil pump
Balancer bolt
h/c gasket set

Keep in mind that my car has 29k on it so if anything is reuseable since the heads are Stock CNC'ed LS1 heads please let me know. Thanks guys. Again, when suggesting cams for me remember that I want a nice lope that makes great power up to 6500rpms and will work with the springs I already have. Let me know if the above cam specs will work.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:19 PM
12 Second Club

Cam????
Old 09-02-2008, 01:56 PM
Launching!

Drew, buy a hotcam and a sneaky pete, ull run 9s! haha
Old 09-02-2008, 02:07 PM
On The Tree

drew,
a lot of people make the mistake of picking a cam that is too big. one thing that i have heard many times is to buy a cam with less than what you want.

is this a DD or just a weekend warrior?