Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X1 Cam and Ported LS1 heads

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2003, 02:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default X1 Cam and Ported LS1 heads

So if I have someone do a good port/polish job on my LS1 heads, can I make good use of the X1 cam? 230/227 .591/.571 Also, will i be able to get good flow on just 2.02/1.57s fully ported and polished or will i need to go up to 2.055/1.60s? I dont want my head flow to stall around .550 or so and not make use of the extra lift this cam has. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-31-2003, 03:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: X1 Cam and Ported LS1 heads

I definitely go to a reputable shop for the port work. I have seen several people- a couple of them friends of mine who have tried to save money and get their heads ported by a local place or a place that ports Ford or SB1 heads. These heads flow like a ************ stock compared to other heads and the improvements that can be done should be done by an experienced porter. If they remove too much material in the wrong place- the heads will lose velocity and stall.
There are several vendors on here that can provide you with a kick *** set of heads for a reasonable amount of money. Joe Prince just released a STG1.5 head that would put you well into the 400's. Many of the vendors here should have you into the 430rwhp range with their STG II heads- all for under 2k.

I don't believe that you really need the bigger 2.055 valves unless you're going with bigger cubes. People have been getting excellent results with the 2.02/1.57 combo. You just need a good quality valve and proper setup.
The X1 is not that big of a cam by todays standards so call around and the sponsors will be more than willing to hook you up.
As I stated earlier- stay away from "locals". Go with a tried and true head that has been around the block and you know works. Take a look at the right, and start calling around. Talk to these guys, tell them what you are trying to do, and they will hook you up based on your budget.
I have talked in length with Brian @ TEA, Jay @ Absolute and Joe Prince. All of them are great guys and when it comes time for me to buy a set of heads, it will be a tough decision, but one of them will be the way I go.
Old 08-31-2003, 05:10 AM
LEO
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The smaller valves flow very well when combined with good porting. The X1 works well with a heads/cam pkg or cam only pkg. The X1 with all the bolt-ons has seen 400+ rwhp in several M6 cars.
Old 08-31-2003, 09:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Default Re: X1 Cam and Ported LS1 heads *DELETED*

Post deleted by 99 Black Bird T/A
Old 08-31-2003, 11:25 AM
TECH Addict

I love my X1 cam and S2 heads. I have really good numbers for A4 with 12-bolt and all. Safely tuned for the spray also!
Old 08-31-2003, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I definitely go to a reputable shop for the port work. I have seen several people- a couple of them friends of mine who have tried to save money and get their heads ported by a local place or a place that ports Ford or SB1 heads. These heads flow like a ************ stock compared to other heads and the improvements that can be done should be done by an experienced porter. If they remove too much material in the wrong place- the heads will lose velocity and stall.
There are several vendors on here that can provide you with a kick *** set of heads for a reasonable amount of money. Joe Prince just released a STG1.5 head that would put you well into the 400's. Many of the vendors here should have you into the 430rwhp range with their STG II heads- all for under 2k.

I don't believe that you really need the bigger 2.055 valves unless you're going with bigger cubes. People have been getting excellent results with the 2.02/1.57 combo. You just need a good quality valve and proper setup.
The X1 is not that big of a cam by todays standards so call around and the sponsors will be more than willing to hook you up.
As I stated earlier- stay away from "locals". Go with a tried and true head that has been around the block and you know works. Take a look at the right, and start calling around. Talk to these guys, tell them what you are trying to do, and they will hook you up based on your budget.
I have talked in length with Brian @ TEA, Jay @ Absolute and Joe Prince. All of them are great guys and when it comes time for me to buy a set of heads, it will be a tough decision, but one of them will be the way I go.
I think Bohdi makes a very good point here. THe LS1 heads are a far cry from a set of chevy 71 vette heads or a set of Ford E7s. Locals often have no idea what works and what doesnt.

There are so many head porters sponsoring this site that will give you great flow and velocity for very little money. On a stock bore, anything over 2.02" intake valve hasnt really shown to be helpful.

If you are going to be going through a headswap, make it worth it and give a few bucks to JPR, Absolute, Patriot or whoever a search on this board shows gives consistent results with stage 1 packages. I see post all the time by folks who are very pleased with stage 1 results.

Also, the MTI X1 cam is a serious power player, and is really good in a HUGE variety of situations. I have it in my 387, Jayson of MTI fame put it in his 427, and it seems to never fail to make excellent power in stock cube scenarios whether with head porting or not. I will warn you though that it does make the valvetrain quite a bit louder. For many, this is no big deal. Any cam that has serious ramp rates will likely do this.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

chris

Quick Reply: X1 Cam and Ported LS1 heads