Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pressure question

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 02:21 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil Pressure question

I'm just wondering why my oil pressure is so high, when i start the car up the needle jumps to around 65-75, and if i give it any gas at all it raises to 80. when i'm driving down the road its pegged. which scares me a little bit. i just replaced the oil pressure sensor, cause i broke it off when installing a LS6 manifold . so that can't be it, unless the guy at pepboys gave me the wrong one, or the sensor is just bad. I checked the oil level and it seems to be perfectly full, like dead on the line, however i can't remember if it was cold or hot. forgive me, but its late and i've had a few but are you supposed to check the oil cold or hot? i'm using a mobil 1 filter, which from what i understand is fairly restrictive, and i use Castrol GTX high mileage 10w-30, which from what i also understand is a very thick oil. Any thoughts? i should be worried that my oil pressure gauge is pegged right? could something actually be wrong or just a bad combo of oil and filter? should i switch to 10w-20?

also thoughts on seafoaming the oil on a car with 83k?
Old 08-21-2008, 02:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DId your oil pressure do that before you broke the sensor off? Did you make sure the old oil filter gasket came off before you put the new filter on? Check the oil warm not directly after you shut your engine off but about 2 minutes after.

Stay away from seafoam unless you would like to dry out all of your vital engine bearings and parts!
Old 08-25-2008, 02:23 PM
12 Second Club

anybody have some input? what should i do?
Old 08-25-2008, 05:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well my engine cold start up runs 75psi at idle, warm idle 60psi. WOT throttle is 100psi pegged on my gauge. I have an aftermarket oil pump though. All you did was change the sensor? I wouldnt worry about high oil pressure as much as i would low.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:24 PM
Teching In

I broke the oil pressure sending unit off of my car too when i was installing the LS6 manifold. My oil pressure jumped up to the same PSI as yours and I read on here that it is the sending unit that causes this jump in PSI. Its perfectly fine, mine has gone down a few PSI now that it has been on for about 1000 miles. High oil pressure cant hurt anything but low oil pressure definately can lol