Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ARP head stud question

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 05:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default ARP head stud question

I know if you go with ARP main studs you need to get the mains align honed because the higher torque value of the studs can distort the mains. If you are using ARP head studs and having the block honed do you need to have it honed differently? I know that they use a torque plate to distort the block just as it will be when you torque the heads down but since you're torquing the heads down to a different value won't it distort it differently?

I am just asking because I am building a motor and will be using ARP main studs and head studs and want to make sure the hone is right.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should be able to jsut tell yor machine shop what the torque values are, and they can take it from there.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive been using ARP main studs and never had mine line honed, I checked the mains clearance with plastic gauge and they all were .0025" The motors been running going on two years now and my oil pressure is steal 60psi at idle.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy WS6
Ive been using ARP main studs and never had mine line honed, I checked the mains clearance with plastic gauge and they all were .0025" The motors been running going on two years now and my oil pressure is steal 60psi at idle.
Well the only thing is that plasti-gauge won't show out of roundness and that's what the main studs can do is distort the bores and throw the mains out of round. Some get away fine with it others don't. I, personally don't want to chance it.