Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Supporting Mod's??

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 02:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam Supporting Mod's??

Looking for what people consider Cam Supporting Mods? I have a Daily Driven 2000 Trans Am, i am going to be putting the Rapid Motorsports Dominator 2 Cam. I believe the spec's are roughly 230/238 on 113 lsa. I was wondering what all people thought would be necessary to add at that time as i cannot have this break down on me. Obviously like lifters, springs, etc for those just really want a top name brand. I will prolly get the Ported LS6 oil pump as that's what everyone does. I will not be getting heads, intake manifold, or TB as all of those are out of my college budget. All three of those will come down the road eventually. Also another key point is that i am shooting for 475-500 rwhp on motor and then going to add spray later in life. All responses are greatly appreciated i am just tired of people writing random mods when people ask these types of questions so figured i'd post my own thread!!
Old 09-03-2008, 03:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

A intake maifold is woth it for the "supporting" cam mods. New valve springs and push rods are a must. New timing chain and oil pump is good insurance. Take some time and read some of the stickys at the top of this section or try a search this question has been asked a million times. also for 475-500 RWHP you'll need more cubes than 346 and heads, and a bigger cam than your looking at. I was full boltons and a 224 cam and made 396rwhp before my current set up. with the cam you listed and a intake you'll be right around the 400 RWHP mark

Last edited by conan; 09-03-2008 at 03:35 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well i'm eventually going to get the Fast 92/92 ported, and Trickflow 215's just can't afford at the moment. And i've seen a bunch of people with this setup hit 475+. But even still anywhere up there would be nice. A cam should be able to run somewhat arite on stock intake/tb tho right?? I mean it isn't ideal and will hold back power but it could run on them for like a year or two?? Springs, Pushrods, Timing Chain, and Oil Pump (check). Do i need new water pump or injectors??
Old 09-03-2008, 03:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The stock throttle body will support 500+ hp. I still have my stocker on. As for the water pump stock is fine for any application. Injectors... depends on how much go gas your useing. Have a good tune done as well.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:56 PM
TECH Resident

Your defenitly need pushrods and valve springs. Those are a must. You should make some good power with those cam specs the tfs heads and a fast manifold. I made some decent numbers with a smaller cam.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the input guys so now i am looking at Pushrods, springs, timing chain and oil pump. That plus the parts to put a new cam in so hopefully that is it. I'm hoping for some good numbers out of this combo, hopefully all goes well!!