Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rollmaster timing set users... please help..

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 11:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rollmaster timing set users... please help..

I have a question about Rollmaster timing sets. Does anyone know if Rollmaster makes a double roller that is not adjustable? I pulled my 383 apart for a cam swap and discovered I have a Rollmaster double roller gear/chain set. However, on the crank gear there are no numbers (-4,-2, 2, etc.) for advance or retard of cam timing. All I have is a large dot/dimple on one of the teeth. Also, the usual same dot on the cam gear.

Does anyone know... does this mean that this is definitely a non-adjustable set?

If the answer is yes... then does that mean that there is only one keyway on the crank gear and only one way to install the crank gear?

I am trying to determine if with this set, I can only install a cam dot to dot... with no advance or retard.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Check your chain, is it a Rolon? Sounds like the "Blue Label" timing set. See link. Link
Old 09-23-2008, 10:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well, I took a picture of my chain with my macro lens, and I have the same logo as shown on this page at the top.

http://www.iwis.com/index.php?id=5

So, looks like I have an Iwis chain on mine.

Thanks for the link Vettenuts! That helped me out a lot.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can install an adjustable Rollmaster as if it was not adjustable. You just use the center keyway. That's the ZERO keyway(no advance or retard). Then just line up the DOTs.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah I got that part. I was just puzzled because the Roll Master document says that the Iwiss chains is used exclusively on the adjustable sets, but all the pics of the adjustable sets have numbers on the crank gear. My set has the Iwiss chain, the billet gears but no numbers on the crank gear.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There were some that got the adjustable set with the Rolon chain in the past from some of the reading I have done. Not sure why, might have been an availability issue at the time of assembly.