Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Header installation???

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009 | 11:55 PM
Launching!

Default Help! Header installation???

I purchased a set of hooker long tubes and was wondering if there are any step by step directions out there that i could follow or if there is anyone that could tell me what all i need to do/take off to install these headers. Any help would be greatly appriciated! Thanks!
Old 06-29-2009 | 09:09 AM
On The Tree

im about to install my lpp headers today!!!

you will get ALOT of different suggestions the best thing to do is use the search.

here is how im goin to attempt it
jack up your car as high as safely possible, i think i read a minimum of 18 inches

1. yesterday i soaked everything in PB blaster to make the bolts loosen up easier
2. unhook + battery
3. remove all emissions (i have race style headers)
4. remove spark plugs/wires
--- some people recommend removing the coil packs (on top of the valve covers) but that can be a bitch so i will wait till the install process to decide
5. remove starter
6. hack off my exhaust as close to the manifolds as possible
--- you can unbolt the cats but my car has seen alot of winters and i dont think this will be easy for me, ill give it a shot though
7. unbolt the manifolds and slide them out
8. wiggle the headers in (from the bottom)
9. line up your gaskets and start all the header bolts then tighten them from the center out.
---DON'T OVERTIGHTEN THEM our cylinder heads are obviously aluminum and will strip out. i think they only require torqued 18lbs which isnt much
10. plug up your front O2 sensors via extensions or vette wires (im thinking of splicing mine
11. plug in your rear O2 simulators (or get them tuned out with the emissions junk which is usually the cheaper/better route)

sometimes its necessary to cut a little of the k-frame but i havent heard of that issue with hookers

A little info like if you have race style headers, and the year of your car could help with feedback.

but do the search you will find more suggestions and tips.

Last edited by toslow5o; 06-29-2009 at 09:16 AM.
Old 06-29-2009 | 12:09 PM
Launching!

Thanks for taking the time to walk me through the steps. That should steer me in the right direction.
Old 07-09-2009 | 06:17 AM
Teching In

ls1sounds.com has good info in their install tab.
Old 07-10-2009 | 07:41 AM
12 Second Club

What are you installing these on? I am assuming an 02 camaro by your info. Use this guide that I have posted a link to below. It is for pacesetters, but it is all the same. I used it to do mine and it went smooth. There is a part in it that says to cut a casting tab off your block on the driver's side..........I highly recommend doing it because once it is out of the way the header slide into place no prob.

http://www.geocities.com/foff667/98Camaropg4.html

Quick Reply: Help! Header installation???