Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with LS3 Motor

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 02:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with LS3 Motor

Hi Im Ian from the Philippines and Im just recently got an LS3 motor and am doing a transplant into a bmw 3 series!

Now I need help with some problems.

I have some wiring sockets without the connections and I was wondering what are the essentials to getting this engine running?

Now I know I need the MAF which was not included, and I noticed the engine is drive by wire so will I need the throttle of a corvette as well?

I think the empty sockets are for the Fusebox will I need this too?

my mechanic said I may need the Body control module and Key with immobilizer to start this as well?

would anyone have the wiring diagram of this engine?

Many thanks in advance for your expert advice!
Attached Thumbnails Help with LS3 Motor-p1010418.jpg   Help with LS3 Motor-img_0615.jpg   Help with LS3 Motor-img_0617.jpg   Help with LS3 Motor-img_0614.jpg  
Old 01-27-2010, 02:33 AM
Teching In

I forgot to mention that the guy who sent me the engine mentioned that I can send him my ECU back so they can reprogram it to start without the key and immobilizer, now I feel like he is already trying to rip me off since our first agreement was a running motor!
Old 01-28-2010, 07:37 PM
Teching In

anyone?? HELP! any comment would be appreciated!
Old 01-29-2010, 12:02 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sshhh
Hi Im Ian from the Philippines and Im just recently got an LS3 motor and am doing a transplant into a bmw 3 series!

Now I need help with some problems.

I have some wiring sockets without the connections and I was wondering what are the essentials to getting this engine running?

Now I know I need the MAF which was not included, and I noticed the engine is drive by wire so will I need the throttle of a corvette as well?

I think the empty sockets are for the Fusebox will I need this too?

my mechanic said I may need the Body control module and Key with immobilizer to start this as well?

would anyone have the wiring diagram of this engine?

Many thanks in advance for your expert advice!
The LS3 was a Gen-4 engine, all of them had drive by wire, none had a regular cable operated throttle. Best is to keep the DBW.

Not having the MAF is no big deal, you can buy them online for around $50.

One of those connector is for the relay/fuse box, the other may be for the gauge cluster.

You don't need to get the factory GM fusebox, the factory harnesses are nearly stand-alone. You one need the fuel pump relay, fan relay, starter relay and if I'm not forgetting anything thats it. You can integrate the harness into the factory BMW relay box.

You also don't need the body control module to start the engine, but you will have to reprogram the ECM to disable the anti-theft system.

Cool swap you have there!

From what I know, the gauge cluster in the E46 3 series uses CAN. So you'll probably have to use aftermarket dials or if you're good with electronics, you can open the cluster, remove the CAN related electronics and wire everything up directly.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:27 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

An aftermarket or GMPP LS3 harness may be easier to do for that project.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Hans Grüber
The LS3 was a Gen-4 engine, all of them had drive by wire, none had a regular cable operated throttle. Best is to keep the DBW.

Not having the MAF is no big deal, you can buy them online for around $50.

One of those connector is for the relay/fuse box, the other may be for the gauge cluster.

You don't need to get the factory GM fusebox, the factory harnesses are nearly stand-alone. You one need the fuel pump relay, fan relay, starter relay and if I'm not forgetting anything thats it. You can integrate the harness into the factory BMW relay box.

You also don't need the body control module to start the engine, but you will have to reprogram the ECM to disable the anti-theft system.

Cool swap you have there!

From what I know, the gauge cluster in the E46 3 series uses CAN. So you'll probably have to use aftermarket dials or if you're good with electronics, you can open the cluster, remove the CAN related electronics and wire everything up directly.
ok ill order the DBW throttle, who does the reprogramming for the anti theft? would you know how much it would cost?

thank you for you help.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 603 Likes on 479 Posts

SSHHHHHH,
What year BMW is that? I like it alot. Should be killer. Try sending the harness to www.speartech.com for a harness mod and might as well have him (John Spears) do the ECM while he's at it. His work & tech advice both before and after his work is top notch

I will be sending my ECM to him in a few months. You get what you pay for.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:47 AM
Teching In

Great project!

I also bought a LS3 but it was without harness and ECM. The easiest way is to buy a GMPP LS3 controller kit like this http://paceperformance.com/index.asp...&ProdID=228370

If you have a plan to change a cam then you will need to reprogram the ECM. On this site you can find member FROST who can help you to reprogram the ECM if needed.

Good luck !
Old 03-09-2010, 05:23 PM
Teching In

thank you will give it a go!
Old 05-02-2010, 10:03 AM
Teching In

Default Updates!

were way behind schedule, we decided to weld in a full roll cage, seamweld the chassis and reinforce the subframe mounts.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 603 Likes on 479 Posts

Sshhh,
So what year ir yer BMW?
Old 05-02-2010, 07:03 PM
Teching In

its a 99 if im not mistaken, early e46 chassis, i cant seem to upload the pix, but i have a thread on e46fanatics as well with photos.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:11 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

In your pics, you already have the DBW throttle body
Old 05-03-2010, 04:31 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
In your pics, you already have the DBW throttle body
yes i do!
Old 05-03-2010, 09:13 AM
Teching In

photos!
Attached Thumbnails Help with LS3 Motor-img_9309.jpg   Help with LS3 Motor-img_9312.jpg   Help with LS3 Motor-img_9314.jpg  
Old 06-03-2010, 07:41 PM
Teching In

First crank of the motor!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80WEW9en8kM
Old 06-04-2010, 09:56 PM
On The Tree

Default swap

Dude you are nuts
Old 06-07-2010, 09:48 PM
Launching!

This thread would get a lot of attention if it had "e46" in the title. Cool swap your doing there. Take tons of pics.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably ought not to do that too often, without exhaust manifolds anyway... Unless you like changing exhaust valves. Cool swap though.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:47 AM
Teching In

Default Help again!

With electrical problems! The engine shut off after two sessions. The power to weight is brilliant! I cant wait to tune the suspension.

I brought her out for her 1st birthday, a year in the build and I shook her down to bad the electrical dint hold up, time to troubleshoot the issues!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7ihE7nMCDQ

what is the LED light in the fusebox? Basically my engine cranks but it doenst start, the LED light in the fusebox doensnt turn on.

It stated for two days but during shakedown gave up on me.

I noticed that I was running super rich as well, Is my aftermarket 280LPH fuel pump to strong for the engine since it doesnt have a fuel return?

I have the GMPP LS3 harness kit on it now. Looking for some help again.

how easy is it to tune this ECU?

Thank you again.

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails Help with LS3 Motor-img_0009.jpg   Help with LS3 Motor-img_0010.jpg  

Quick Reply: Help with LS3 Motor