Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drive-by-wire remote?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 11:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Drive-by-wire remote?

Has anybody come up with a drive-by-wire remote? I imagine it would be something that wires/plugs into the gas pedal controller. Such a gadget would allow under hood adjustments without a second person. I know HP Tuner software can control the throttle, but the control is not nearly the same as something quick from a gas pedal.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure what year/model your vehicle is, but if you wanted to rig something up, it would be pretty easy to do if your vehicle had a TAC module. The TAC module is a sort of interface that connects your PCM with the throttle body and the gas pedal. The TAC module has a dedicated harness that goes directly to the pedal in your car. If you located the TAC module (which I think is always in the engine bay) then you could unplug the harness that goes to the gas pedal inside your car, and instead plug in an extra gas pedal that you could keep outside the car. You would of course need an extra harness as well, which would set you back about $50 at eficonnection.com

I think all of the C5 Corvettes had TAC modules, and I am pretty sure all the trucks had them through at least '06. Early Cadillac CTS-Vs have them, and the C6 LS2 Corvettes MIGHT have had them, but I am not sure.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FastKat,

You gave me enough information to get me going in the right direction. I suspect that if the pedal wiring harness is the same for all models, I can probably order some parts and wiring to make it work. I believe that by getting a junkyard pedal assembly and replacing the pedal with a **** of sorts, then getting a wiring extension harness from eficonnection.com, it may work. If it works, I'll post the process and part numbers.

Here is what I researched. There is the "accelerator pedal with the built in potentiometer (variation of voltage output with pedal position), this is known as the APP (Accelerator Pedal Position), the TACS (Throttle actuator Controller) module and then the Servomotor and throttle sensor on the throttle body."

"The TPS on the throttle body is actually two sensors in one package, that has opposite degree of output voltages to the TAC module and PCM, and serves to "cross check" and provides feedback each other with the APP sensor. The APP sensor actually has three position sensors, #1 sensor sends an increasing voltage, while #2 and #3 sends a decreasing voltage but at a different rate. The program in the TAC has built in parameters to make sure the sensors are in agreement with each other to smoothly actuate the servo motor on the throttle body. The built in redundancy of the system allows for safe operation of the system in case of minor failures, and will reduce power and even completely shut down the engine in case of a hard failure."

Reference: http://www.chevythunder.com/drive_by_wire.htm

There are good details and pictures on the site referenced above.

Quick Reply: Drive-by-wire remote?