Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! LS7 going into my 1978 Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 09:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help! LS7 going into my 1978 Trans Am

I'm brand new to this Forum and could use a little guidance. I've searched the threads which were helpful and have a few questions now...

I was able to purchase a complete LS7 engine for $10,000 so with the extra money I didn't spend, I can put that into...

Headers
Cams
valve springs/retainers

We're doing a custom intake to keep the shaker hood functional.

I know a tune will be needed after everything is installed.

I've been surfing a variety of websites and reviewed ARH, Kooks, LG headers. Then I've researched Livernois Stage II cams, Katech Torquer LS7, GMPP, and a few others.

I'm looking to get 500HP and upper 400Torque to the rear wheels as a goal.

So that being said, I have a few questions:
1. Are the stock pushrods okay for what I'm planning to add to the motor?
2. Anything else I should be thinking about when doing this modification?
3. I keep reading about the debate between a 1 3/4 and a 1 7/8 header-any opinions on which one and why?

(I do want catted after the long tubes-will probably require custom exhaust.)

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-31-2010, 09:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1 7/8 on headers no question. Almost any aftermarket cam will get you 500 to the wheels with a manual trans. If you do a good exhaust and intake tract put a fast 102 on it and port match to the heads with a good tune you will be close to 500 without touching the cam or the springs.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChucksZ06
1 7/8 on headers no question. Almost any aftermarket cam will get you 500 to the wheels with a manual trans. If you do a good exhaust and intake tract put a fast 102 on it and port match to the heads with a good tune you will be close to 500 without touching the cam or the springs.
I didn't even think about upgrading the intake manifold. Good idea and I just read upon the FAST LXR 102mm intake. I assume a new fuel rail would be in order to?

Quick Reply: Help! LS7 going into my 1978 Trans Am