Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I need a new throttle body ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011 | 08:39 AM
Teching In

Default Do I need a new throttle body ??

My '06 GTO engine's throttle body was sticking for a minute or two everytime I stopped for gas or otherwise turned off the engine for a few minutes. It is a DBW engine. Also the first to second shift was more like a shock than shift. This went on for a few days until I was told the throttle body was sticking. (I was out of town) A local mechanic sprayed it with cleaner and it immediatly started working properly. He said I should still replace it They are fairly expensive and I don't know whether to replace it or was he just trying to sell me a throttle body that I no longer need. This engine only has about 8K miles on it. What should I do ??
Tom
Old 01-31-2011 | 08:38 PM
Launching!

hi,
i believe you have an issue with carbon build up on the blade. if cleaning resolved the issue
and no other problems.the tb is probably ok from what you say. you can also remove tb and do a little very fine sanding with 1000-1500 grit paper.do not get over aggressive with your polishing. check the throttle blade often to avoid removing to much material. i hope this helps........have a blessed day.............jim
Old 02-05-2011 | 12:26 AM
TECH Regular

could it be the PCM not sending correct voltage... just asking... only thing i could think of unless the motor is going out... but if the voltage isnt right... then the motor wont accutate either... my .02
Old 02-06-2011 | 07:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea unbolt it and spray it with cleaner. If you have some purple power or can afford some spray it with that. The stuff DESTROYS built up carbon. Just make sure to do it off the engine. I'd be Leary of sandpaper. If the blade doesn't get a good seal youll have terrible idle issues.

Quick Reply: Do I need a new throttle body ??