Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know info source for E-Rod installations Qs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 03:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know info source for E-Rod installations Qs?

Howdy all, I am making decent progress putting my new E-Rod LS3 in my Stude Avanti, but the GM installation manual leaves something to be desired and someone who could/would field install questions would be a gawd-send--at least for me. For example, my T-5 I'm hooked up to between my engine and Jag rearend doesn't have an electronic speed-sensor that the manual says is "necessary" (for something) and I cannot quite put my cats exactly where it says they "must" go.

Now, I know what the highlighted words mean, of course, but I've found that "necessary" and "must" can be for different reasons, e.g. emission control, drivability, etc. Though I'm using the E-Rod with cats, I do not live where emission testing is necessary, but drivability is, of course.

Anyway, possible leads on info sources would be GREATLY appreciated.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Barlow, I would try posting this in the Conversions and Hybrids forum instead of here.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Avanti
Howdy all, I am making decent progress putting my new E-Rod LS3 in my Stude Avanti, but the GM installation manual leaves something to be desired and someone who could/would field install questions would be a gawd-send--at least for me. For example, my T-5 I'm hooked up to between my engine and Jag rearend doesn't have an electronic speed-sensor that the manual says is "necessary" (for something) and I cannot quite put my cats exactly where it says they "must" go.

Now, I know what the highlighted words mean, of course, but I've found that "necessary" and "must" can be for different reasons, e.g. emission control, drivability, etc. Though I'm using the E-Rod with cats, I do not live where emission testing is necessary, but drivability is, of course.

Anyway, possible leads on info sources would be GREATLY appreciated.
If you don't have to go through emission testing, leave the cats off and have them tuned out of the pcm. The reason you need a vss is for tuning/driveability. A lot of people have had issues with their engine wanting to die when they are comng to a stop if they don't have a vss. Some people get lucky and don't have the issue, but a lot do. In the end, I think your biggest problem will be the T-5. You have a LOT more motor than it can stand.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies; I've been away awhile. Too busy working on the car, granddaughter over the summer, etc., etc.

As for the T-5, it will do fine with the "ninny" (according to my Salt Flats buddy) way I drive on the street. It's survived 15 years behind 494 dynoed-hp. I'm not a drag or street racer, limiting my "craziness" to the Salt.

I appreciate the input!

Quick Reply: Anyone know info source for E-Rod installations Qs?