Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls2 steam lines, need some help

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls2 steam lines, need some help

I have a ls2 and i need some help with the steam lines. The rear ones are blocked off and the front ones run between the heads with i fitting coming straight up. Can i bock these off as well. I saw that you can tape the water pump and return it back in. Who has done what and whats your opinion on the best way. Please post some pics too. Thanks
Old 03-14-2013, 07:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Do not block off the fronts. If anything, connect the rear ones also. They actually return quite a bit of water to the radiator to help cool the engine.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:49 PM
On The Tree

I just ordered a kit that does all four from summit
Old 03-15-2013, 08:50 AM
9 Second Club

I fabbed my own with some brake line, and compression fittings. Just drilled out the blocks and tapped them for fittings. I did not know about that kit, looks nice!
Old 03-16-2013, 12:36 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by STEVE PWC
I have a ls2 and i need some help with the steam lines. The rear ones are blocked off and the front ones run between the heads with i fitting coming straight up. Can i bock these off as well. I saw that you can tape the water pump and return it back in. Who has done what and whats your opinion on the best way. Please post some pics too. Thanks

I did a lot of research on here and other sites regarding the steam vent plumbing.

On my LS2 build I blocked off the two rear vents. On the front two vents I used 4 AN fittings (one 90 deg and one "T") then ran stainless braided hose through the core support, and over to the low pressure side of the radiator tank. I had an aluminum bung welded in two inches below the top of the tank for 1/8 pipe thread.... then I used a 4 AN fitting to complete the plumbing.

When I filled the engine block with coolant you could hear the air come out of the tube as the block filled up. Once I topped off the fluid and put the cap on it was good to go. I never had to add any more fluid... and there were no air pockets. The steam vents are a nice feature on the LS engine and provide a path for the air to escape.

The hose on the upper right is the steam vent line and goes to low pressure side of the radiator.

This is a shot of the bung I had welded into the low pressure side of the radiator tank.

This set up works well... and I have had good results.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:13 AM
On The Tree

Nice work, looks great. Thanks

Quick Reply: Ls2 steam lines, need some help