Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New build help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 07:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New build help!

Hey guys, I've been researching every day for a few weeks now regarding Ls motors, heads, intakes etc etc. I've learned a bunch. But it's never enough

I have a 6.0l lq4 with some ls1 parts. It's putting down 273rwhp/317tq in my 97' 240sx. I want to make more power. Around 400-450rwhp

Can someone please chime in on the best package of heads + valve train, intake + TB, and cam? This will be a street car with some occasional drifting. Not a dd but I'd like it to be driveable with good start up, idle etc

I want the L92/LS3 heads (Bare, they are the same). But I need to choose springs, retainers, push rods, rockers, and anything else that I need for a complete head set up. Should I buy the LS3 assembled heads for the hollow valves and stiffer springs, or go with the L92 heads for a little cheaper with the solid valves and softer springs (I figure ill have to replace the Ls3 factory springs anyways?)

I know I need the LS3 intake mani but am not sure about what size or brand throttle body

And lastly, I've read all the threads on cams and still not sure if I should go with the great TR224, something different, or trust a vendor to grind a custom one for me. I also dont want any piston to valve clearence issues. So much to learn! So please if someone could be so helpful to give me a complete setup of the best bang for buck parts for my I\H\C\TB build it would greatly help me out !
Old 05-07-2013, 07:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ill go with the L92 heads, lots of people have goodluck with them. Along with with L92 heads you will need a LS3, LY6 or a L92 intake with a cable driven throttle body. You can use a FAST 92mm or a BBK throttle body as well, just make sure its a 4bolt. I suppose the 224r is good enough for your build. TSP (Texas Speed) has the whole package I believe. Thats unless you want something bigger or custom hit up Martin @ Tick Performance.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:59 AM
Teching In

Just use stock motor if it is still in good condition. TU2 Cam. L92 heads. Holley high-ram intake manifold/ or ls6 manifold.

Im doing a lq4 with a single pt88 turbo build and doing alot of the same.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:48 PM
Teching In

Guys, I see everyone is recommending the L92/Ls3 heads for my Lq4. TSP recommended the PRC Stage 2.5 5.3l heads due to the fact that they'll increase my compression ratio to about 10.6:1 vs 9.6:1 with the L92.

The argument there is that the 5.3's will yield higher compression, a more responsive and efficient motor, and better power under the curve, more torque down low etc. and that the l92/LS3 will yield higher peak power up top.

Can anyone chime in on this?

Quick Reply: New build help!