Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pressure sensor problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 07:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure sensor problems

Engine info: LS3 with PRC stage 2.5 LS6 heads, LS6 intake, Canton dry sump pan, stock car products 3 stage pump, and Peterson 400 filter. Car is built for mid range not peak power bragging rights.

I know the system has plenty of pressure because I forgot to torque the rear cover before putting it in the car. There was a waterfall of oil on the first start up.

1st set up that did not show oil pressure was a fitting on the front of the Peterson filter. I tried 2 sending units and 2 different gauges to no avail. The sending unit threads into the front of the filter:

2nd set up is the Auto Meter 2268 fitting for the stock location on the valley cover but the oil pressure sending unit is so freakin big that it hits the intake before it lines up. Anybody else had this problem? I guess I will have to buy another fitting to raise it up past the intake. It will look terrible and I am also wondering if it will have a air bubble that will keep from getting a good reading. Any ideas?
Old 10-10-2013, 08:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Remove the intake, screw a 45 degreee street ell into the brass fitting, install sending unit, and re-install intake. Problem fixed.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you believe there is pressure, you might not have the gauge hooked up right.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:23 AM
Staging Lane

Always use a mechanical gauge for first start. That way there is no question. Once things are running well, change back to electronic.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:13 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Albertan
Always use a mechanical gauge for first start. That way there is no question. Once things are running well, change back to electronic.
Yeah, we swapped in a mechanical gauge. Pressure is fine so now it is time to make the electronic gauge work.

LS1MCSS, a 45* or straight extension is in my future.

Quick Reply: Oil pressure sensor problems