Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator connector from small to large.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 11:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alternator connector from small to large.

Hi, I got a LS2 engine and harness and I need to use the small F-body alternator (due to its smaller size), I tried to find a wiring difinition for both so I can swap the small LS2 connector with the F-body large (wide) connector but I've read in one forum that they are not compatible with each other, ie I cannot just swap the connectors and expect it to charge, is that true?

The stock LS2 connector has gray and orange wires, the f-body alt has grey and brown.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:30 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes and no....

Yes, it should fit. BUT...the newer alternators are sent a PWM signal from the ECU...I don't think the LS1 ECU does that...no point in even bothering with the harness connection.
You can simply wire the hot post on the alt to your battery, racecar style, I believe. The built in regulator should default to 13-13.5V without a signal from the ECU.

Not going to be the best option, but it should work. It'll charge, but not maintain very well.

Best option...using the correct OE or aftermarket alternator. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Alternator connector from small to large.