Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

advice on Johnson Lifter recommendation LS3

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 12:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default advice on Johnson Lifter recommendation LS3

Looking for anyone with experience with Johnson Lifters for in a Whippled LS3, I have just dropped a valve so while engine apart would like to upgrade lifters from LS7 style, cam is 215/247 @ .050 0.630/0.657 lift max rpm 7200, this is a d/d but with some drag weekends so would like to have quietest setup.

Options I was looking at were:

Drop in's 2110 or 2110R
Linked 2116LSR or ST2116LSR

cheers
Old 12-29-2015, 01:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 536 Likes on 383 Posts

Always go link bar if budget allows. Link bars are nice for stability, reliability, dependable and I also have notice their tend to be quieter which is awesome.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not boosted but running a potent 427 with 11.5:1. I went with Johnson 2116 LSR and could not be happier with the lifter and the company. If you are planning to spin to 7200 boosted I would seriously consider the 2116 LSR. Talk to Randy Vrooman @ Johnson. The guy is awesome and will have you set up properly. I believe he goes by Havoc40 on here.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:48 PM
Teching In

hey thanks guy's, so I do not need short travel lifters then? I will try & get hold of Randy @ Johnson then before purchase, anyone know if height is equal to LS7 Lifters or would I need to get custom length push rods, my repair bill for parts is climbing, so trying to balance reliability & cost.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Kiwi_Camaro_2010
hey thanks guy's, so I do not need short travel lifters then? I will try & get hold of Randy @ Johnson then before purchase, anyone know if height is equal to LS7 Lifters or would I need to get custom length push rods, my repair bill for parts is climbing, so trying to balance reliability & cost.
Not sure on the height but they are probably close. Here's the thing though, pushrods is an area you don't want to skimp on as weak pushrods will cause all sorts of problems with your valvetrain. I would budget fora good set. I went with series 4 Manton 3/8" pushrods to eliminate flex. Again in your case running boost and higher rpm pushrods are a must.

Regarding short travel again speak with Randy. The standard 2116 is still a limited travel lifter with about .095" if I remember correctly. That's half what you get with and LS3/LS7 lifter.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:57 PM
On The Tree

Just getting out of the shop...burning the midnight oil. I received your PM and will respond to that in the AM when I get to work.

To make this short, I'd definitely run our limited travel tie-bar lifters. All around its a better option for this application. If you want the ultimate in reliability I'd consider axle oiling as well. I'm a big fan of that option in boosted engines. The limited travel (.093) will make for a snappier engine, be nice and quiet, and relitively forgiving on preload. You will need a longer pushrod going this route, though. Like Travis has already mentioned it's a wise investment to strengthen this area anyway. I always recommend Manton's stuff.

Thanks for the kind words, Travis
Old 12-30-2015, 02:12 PM
Teching In

So the Manton series 4 3/8", will they fit stock ls3 (tech L99) without any modification to the heads or should I stick with a hard 5/16"

Originally Posted by tadams72
Not sure on the height but they are probably close. Here's the thing though, pushrods is an area you don't want to skimp on as weak pushrods will cause all sorts of problems with your valvetrain. I would budget fora good set. I went with series 4 Manton 3/8" pushrods to eliminate flex. Again in your case running boost and higher rpm pushrods are a must.

Regarding short travel again speak with Randy. The standard 2116 is still a limited travel lifter with about .095" if I remember correctly. That's half what you get with and LS3/LS7 lifter.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:17 PM
Teching In

Thanks Randy for the advice, will go with what you recommended the Johnson 2126LSR with axle oiling.

cheers

Originally Posted by Havoc40
Just getting out of the shop...burning the midnight oil. I received your PM and will respond to that in the AM when I get to work.

To make this short, I'd definitely run our limited travel tie-bar lifters. All around its a better option for this application. If you want the ultimate in reliability I'd consider axle oiling as well. I'm a big fan of that option in boosted engines. The limited travel (.093) will make for a snappier engine, be nice and quiet, and relitively forgiving on preload. You will need a longer pushrod going this route, though. Like Travis has already mentioned it's a wise investment to strengthen this area anyway. I always recommend Manton's stuff.

Thanks for the kind words, Travis
Old 12-30-2015, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Randy's support is second to none....parts and process are legit.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Kiwi_Camaro_2010
So the Manton series 4 3/8", will they fit stock ls3 (tech L99) without any modification to the heads or should I stick with a hard 5/16"
I don't think they will fit stock LS3's without some work. I'd talk with Manton to see what your options are. Bottom line, bigger is better on the cam side of the valve train there is little penalty for weight but a lot of penalty for pushrod flex and harmonics.

Quick Reply: advice on Johnson Lifter recommendation LS3