Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS7 overall size

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS7 overall size

Hi there, im new to the forum and from the UK, I am looking to do an engine swap in my B5 Audi RS4, and at the same time run it RWD rather than the boring 4wd.

Is there a link to any sites or pictures that would give me the physical dimensions of the LS7 engine - just to make sure as I think it will actually fit in the engine bay, I know other people have put audi v8 engines in the B5 but I want fairly decent power without turbochargers

thanks in advance
Old 04-14-2016, 02:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Check out post #10 http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24244
Old 04-14-2016, 04:08 PM

ok thanks, im new to these engines, that says LS1 I assume they are all the same physical size then??
Old 04-14-2016, 04:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Correct, The Induction varies, stock, aftermarket, superchargers, truck intakes, car intakes
you get the idea.
Exhaust varies as well.
Good luck on that swap, and make a build thread to keep everybody updated, and everybody
likes pictures.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

I had looked into this also and there is an adapter plate to retain the 01E transaxle. That would be an insane machine keeping it AWD. If you don't.... the rear end being a small ring gear probably wouldn't last very long.

The original 2.7i V6 is super wide as I had an '01 S4 Avant myself. 160mph with skiis on the roof makes for a fun wagon .

I'm guessing the narrow LSx engine would open up a lot more space; however you should look at dimensions to figure it all out. You may have to run a remote water pump if the radiator is too close. All the LSx engines dimensionally are the same aside from oil pans.

Do you want dry sump? The factory LS7 is not a great factory dry sump system. I sold mine because of the shortcomings.

How much power do you want to make?
Old 04-15-2016, 01:56 AM

that's really useful info and the reason I came on the forum.

Very interesting that someone makes an adapter plate to retain the 01E gearbox - I don't suppose you have a link for that company?

power wise - so long as its more than the 460bhp and 480 ft/lb torque the rs4 engine had ill be happy, its more the fact its being different and not having troublesome twin turbo's waiting to pop im going for.

I did think the stock rear diff as a rwd setup might not be happy long term, and whilst the diffs are cheap and easy to change I don't want to be swapping them out all the time, so it would of been some form of diff swap too. However whilst I consider the 4wd slightly boring it would retain the Quattro image the car is famous for.

hadn't considered dry sump, never had a car with one so wouldn't know where to start.

All food for thought.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:00 AM

just looked at a few youtube videos of the rx7 - that thing looks fun

Quick Reply: LS7 overall size