Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D585 Coil Debate

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 01:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default D585 Coil Debate

Hi,

I want to use D585 coils for my project.(not gm engine) But i didn't understand why prices are so different.

I'm looking summit for delphi gn10119 price is 36,97 dollars but when i'm looking ebay price is starting at 34 dollars and climbing.

I don't mind price difference, but i want to know these parts same or different ?

I read other coil and parts threads(ac delco, delphi denso rebranded or reboxed etc.)

for example,

if i buy coils from summit are they really delphi or reboxed?

Only i want good reliable ignition system for my project.

regards,

Semih
Old 01-26-2018, 11:17 AM
FormerVendor

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default 510 Coil OR 585 Coil

Hi Semih, the best "TTL" coil is the IGN-1A with 280 mj and 80+ KV.

We make the 585, the 510 coil and more that 200 other models.

There is a common increase in power of 10% in the ones we can sell into the aftermarket.

I would suggest the 510 coil with 85mj for your needs. ($35.00)

I ASK you to state your requirement ?

We do supply Summit/Atech though you need to be specific as to the PN# (store brand)

Lance
Old 01-26-2018, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

D585/10457730 are Genuine Original Equipment & are pricey when bought new. Delphi is no longer under the GM Corporate Umbrella & their products are now considered aftermarket, I would trust used OE coils over anything aftermarket.
The following users liked this post:
SweetJohnny (07-22-2023)
Old 01-29-2018, 07:11 AM
FormerVendor

Default Coil Production House

Hi Barger, Delphi Purchasing BUYS coils, THEY DO NOT MANUFACTURE coils.

THUS "your" OEM coils standard is ???

When the SAME factory manufactures that SAME coil (similar) with 10% increase in output, NOW "define" your slander remark of AFTERMARKET ?

Lance
Old 01-29-2018, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey Lance, What I said was not aimed at you or your products. I have not had good luck with aftermarket parts in general.

Just because something is labeled AC Delco or Delphi.....Does not mean it meets OEM standards.

The Delphi GN10119 & AC Delco BS-C1251 are the same coil, I consider both cheap aftermarket.

AC Delco D585 & GM 10457730 are Original Equipment Replacements. Both will be stamped 19005218 on the bracket.

Now.....I don't know if all the above coils are made in the same plant or not? But I do know they are different as the epoxy is a different color & the bracket is different. The OE coils also last longer & don't take as many amps to operate which puts the PCM drivers at risk.

Your coils may be very good pieces, But how would I know that? MSD gets pimped as the greatest in the world all the time.....Good thing I know better!
SweetJohnny (07-22-2023)
Old 02-02-2018, 10:30 AM
FormerVendor

Default GM OEM Coil Manufacturers

Hi Barger, YES you are as you state "miss-information" to LS-1 Tech members.

The Denso coil OR Mitsubishi coil manufacturers are HIGH Quality ALWAYS with the original Delphi requirements held.
Trust I have that same specification sheet.

Example : M&W AND Woodward required their OWN markings on their coil, no problem.
NOW, the EPOXY : Your "black" favorite is a LOWER grade than our "clear" with HIGHER Dielectric Strength in our material AND greater cost.
NEXT is the AMPS : The LS coils ARE "TTL" Logic THUS no PCM load.

SURE : OEM coils are rated in AMPS with a LOWER OUTPUT allowing a longer coil life.

SO I ASK WHY DO ALL WANT A HIGH OUTPUT COIL ?

LAST : Google "IGN-1A coil", then you will know.

Lance
Old 02-02-2018, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

The Delphi GN10119 & AC Delco BS-C1251 have the black epoxy.

AC Delco D585 & GM 10457730 have the clear epoxy.....Theses are the ones I use.
SweetJohnny (07-22-2023)
Old 07-15-2021, 07:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry to dig up an old thread
I am back on this subject again

The Denso coil OR Mitsubishi coil manufacturers are HIGH Quality ALWAYS with the original Delphi requirements held.

Example : M&W AND Woodward required their OWN markings on their coil, no problem.
NOW, the EPOXY : Your "black" favorite is a LOWER grade than our "clear" with HIGHER Dielectric Strength in our material AND greater cost.

SURE : OEM coils are rated in AMPS with a LOWER OUTPUT allowing a longer coil life.

Lance

back looking for coils again--
I want to replace the coils on my LS6 but I would like an upgrade also
originally the spark plug gap was 0.060 but a service bulletin reduced reduced the gap to 0.040 (that tells me the spark was weak and I want to get back up to 0.060 plug gap)
its been many years since I first looked at the MSD coils, the problem was they listed no info on the coils and they wanted $800
well I am not buying $800 worth of coils and not have any info except they are red

the number one reason for upgrading coils is more power but it has to be a real improvement

back story (right or wrong)

back in the1980's one of the first upgrades (i had a 66 Chevelle) we made was to get a Crane or MSD round coil, they even said 50K volts right on the coil
we had read in PHR/hot rod mag/carcraft
and they told us you need a better coil so you can open up the spark plug gap and this would give you more power

thoughts
David
Old 07-25-2021, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Davegt27
sorry to dig up an old thread
I am back on this subject again

Lance

back looking for coils again--
I want to replace the coils on my LS6 but I would like an upgrade also
originally the spark plug gap was 0.060 but a service bulletin reduced reduced the gap to 0.040 (that tells me the spark was weak and I want to get back up to 0.060 plug gap)
its been many years since I first looked at the MSD coils, the problem was they listed no info on the coils and they wanted $800
well I am not buying $800 worth of coils and not have any info except they are red

the number one reason for upgrading coils is more power but it has to be a real improvement

back story (right or wrong)

back in the1980's one of the first upgrades (i had a 66 Chevelle) we made was to get a Crane or MSD round coil, they even said 50K volts right on the coil
we had read in PHR/hot rod mag/carcraft
and they told us you need a better coil so you can open up the spark plug gap and this would give you more power

thoughts
David

Hi David,
I sell the d585 kits on ebay often. Used coil assemblies right off running donor engines. Coils, brackets with harnesses. $140 shipped. I started selling them after I did the swap myself on my 98 ws6. Car had about 150k on the clock and bottom end. Top end is LS6 plus goodies. Of felr the difference. Was equal to when on my queen (02 Ultra-Z) I decided to changed the plugs to ngk v power copper cores at 42k miles. After dumping those platinum turds, 2nd gear felt like 1st gear prior to changing plugs. Not a huge bump. 8-10whp. After the d585 install, the rev's were more crisp. Its def worth the $!! Now these aftermarket coils claiming 10-15% more output.. I have no experience with using. I was and am tempted to try those d585 high performance replacement coils from VMS (i believe company is called) claiming same output increase of 10 to 15%. They are cheaper than what I sell my kits for, tho my kits include everything you need to bolt on and go! Now the LS2 coils have an equal output as the d585 coil. Tho, not heat dispersing fins.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 07-29-2021, 07:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 221 Likes on 153 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Is the LS7 square/round coil the same as the LS2 coil?
Old 07-29-2021, 08:25 AM
8 Second Club

Received 945 Likes on 701 Posts

Never seen a reason for upgraded coils under 1400whp, junkyard truck coils to LS3 style no difference in power between them.

Sure IGN-1 coils are worth the money if you make big power, but stock stuff has seen north of 1500whp without issue so get there first before upgrading.
G Atsma (07-29-2021)

Quick Reply: D585 Coil Debate