Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on intake plenum size?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Wave tuning is an annual discussion on SpeedTalk (basically every time a person learns about the topic): https://www.google.com/search?safe=o...iz.ZuQNfHAfYEU

Here some stuff on plenum volume: https://www.google.com/search?safe=o...iz.vdeqkY7v8Cc

The problem this site inherently faces with intake manifolds is the restriction the 4th Gen F-body chassis proposes. Those of us without those self-imposed limitations have far greater options and it tends to matter less.

I would argue that in lieu of volume you should consider optimizing what you do have in order to maximize your chosen intake's flow potential by using things like porting, radius rods, epoxy, better pre-throttle body tubing/filters, etc, etc, etc.
Old 12-24-2018, 05:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 992 Posts

BTW - it's possible to very slightly increase the plenum volume on several GM intakes my removing the support pillars inside the intake.

f
Old 12-24-2018, 10:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,022 Likes on 2,353 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
BTW - it's possible to very slightly increase the plenum volume on several GM intakes my removing the support pillars inside the intake.
I wonder if those posts did anything to direct or straighten airflow? I kinda doubt it, but something to keep in mind.
Old 12-24-2018, 07:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 992 Posts

My understanding is flow bench testing won't show any increase in airflow removing the post. The air generally moves around the sides of the intake instead of straight down the middle where the posts were located. On the dyno having the posts gone might show a slight benefit.
Old 12-24-2018, 07:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,022 Likes on 2,353 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
My understanding is flow bench testing won't show any increase in airflow removing the post. The air generally moves around the sides of the intake instead of straight down the middle where the posts were located. On the dyno having the posts gone might show a slight benefit.
OK, good points! Basically, likely not really worth it. Thanks for the comeback! I'm sure this has been considered by more than a few!