Notices
Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

White smoke on hard acceleration

Old 04-18-2019, 07:36 PM
Teching In

Default White smoke on hard acceleration

I had just recently put in a new engine into my Trailblazer SS. It has been sitting for 2 years and hasn't ran. I built the engine myself, with the shortblock coming from golen engines. Works absolutely fine and did the break in procedure and everything. Babied it for the first 500 miles and did the interval oil changes required. I did my first hard pull to redline (from 60 mph) and a bunch of white smoke came out the tailpipe. Haven't floored it since. There was no check engine light, no smell of burnt oil, and oil pressure and coolant temp was normal. Is it possible that this just happens because it hasn't ran for a while or what? Car still runs fine. What could it be?
Old 04-18-2019, 10:30 PM

My first move would be to check the plugs...all 8 of them. Spark plugs give an excellent indication of what’s actually happening in the engine. Research “how to read spark plugs”. It will teach you a lot of valuable info. Then go from there. Post back up with questions.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:57 PM
TECH Addict

White smoke is usually water but some people mistake slightly blue oil smoke as being white. If you have the PCV and stock air cleaner assembly connected I would pull the throttle body off and see if it has oil in the intake. If the rings didn't seat correctly or it just hasn't fully broken in yet it could have excessive blow-by when under a heavy load and that is pushing oil into the intake and then the combustion chamber.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Isuckatmx View Post
I had just recently put in a new engine into my Trailblazer SS. It has been sitting for 2 years and hasn't ran. I built the engine myself, with the shortblock coming from golen engines. Works absolutely fine and did the break in procedure and everything. Babied it for the first 500 miles and did the interval oil changes required. I did my first hard pull to redline (from 60 mph) and a bunch of white smoke came out the tailpipe. Haven't floored it since. There was no check engine light, no smell of burnt oil, and oil pressure and coolant temp was normal. Is it possible that this just happens because it hasn't ran for a while or what? Car still runs fine. What could it be?
There's the problem.

Here's a pretty good article on break-in procedures: https://www.livernoismotorsports.com...rsion_2.3_.pdf
Old 04-19-2019, 09:45 PM
On The Tree

How did the previous motor fail? Could be yuck left in the exhaust that burned off once hot. Id pressure test the cooling system, then nail it again and see if it happens again.
Old 04-21-2019, 04:51 PM
Teching In

Give everything a good once over, and if it all looks ok - go out for another few rips.

I subscribe to the concept of breaking in a fresh engine with high cylinder pressure, just as soon as it comes up to temp. However, even after 500 miles of babying it, I'm certain there's still plenty of roughness on the cylinder walls to seat the rings if they haven't already... Modern plasma moly rings seat in really easy.

Did the smoke come DURING or AFTER the wot pull? I routinely see smoke come out of fresh engines right after the first and sometimes second WOT pull. My theory is high cylinder vacuum caused by high rpm and a closed throttle, sucks oil out of the crankcase and past the unseated rings - into the combustion chamber where it burns.

Search this Thread

About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: