Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

external reluctor wheel on crank pulley

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 08:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Right, makes sense. The GM cam sensor in the GM applications of this era is not high resolution, maybe like 4x max, so can't do it. When I worked for Jeep in 99'-03', their 4.7L SOHC V8 cam sensor target wheels were much higher resolution, and therefore either could fail once initial cam/crank sync occurred after start.

I once converted a 454 to distributor-less ignition using a Ford EDIS ignition module and crank mounted target wheel with pickup. It worked perfect, so not that hard to do.

As long as you are doing a plane and not a copter, I'd say just keep your glide ratio up, small planes fly pretty darn well in engine off situations. We were passing this vid around at work last week, propeller falls off the airplane in flight. Quite a thing to see, 19 seconds in:
Old 04-23-2023, 09:53 AM
Staging Lane

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

But, if you wanted to, could you just machine the other side of the block to accept a sensor 180 degrees off? Then do the same with the cam sensor?[/QUOTE]

regarding mounting additional
CKS on block, opposite of stock CKS,.....is there enough room to mount the CKS so as it's 180 degrees off stock CKS aligned with reluctor wheel? if so, it seems I would not have to change anything in calibration file.
Old 04-23-2023, 12:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As I said 4 years ago, I would buy a ATI Superdamper and a Holley 58x reluctor and use a stock crank sensor. Just make sure you get the right
damper, LS3 from Camaro and Corvette differs in length and also pin it.
Concerning the cam sensor I’m not sure but I think the only reason it’s there is to tell the ECM where the crank are, intake stroke or power stroke.
Gatsma can you chime in and confirm.
Old 04-23-2023, 07:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,240 Likes on 2,525 Posts

Originally Posted by Joystick
As I said 4 years ago, I would buy a ATI Superdamper and a Holley 58x reluctor and use a stock crank sensor. Just make sure you get the right
damper, LS3 from Camaro and Corvette differs in length and also pin it.
Concerning the cam sensor I’m not sure but I think the only reason it’s there is to tell the ECM where the crank are, intake stroke or power stroke.
Gatsma can you chime in and confirm.
Quite so. Cam sensor only confirms compressions/power stroke....

Quick Reply: external reluctor wheel on crank pulley