Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flare nut moment

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2020 | 11:30 PM
Teching In

Default Flare nut moment

So i got the bottom of my moter bout wrapped up got oil pine lined up tourqed down same with front and rear covers. Then i fi this on my work bench. I know where it goes not quite sure what purpose it serves. I kinda skimmed over som stuff. Seems it has somthing to do with oil consumption on afm models. Can explain the true purpose of it, and how nessisary is it. And if any body did what i just did woud you puul the oil pan to reinstal it. Obviosly i will if it is a must. Ive got a 6.2 l 6speed manual no afm. Total flare nut moment but worse.

Old 04-19-2020 | 04:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast
10 Year Member

It's a baffle / shield to keep the AFM relief valve from spraying oil on the rotating assembly.
It's not the end of the world if you forget it.

But you said you eliminated AFM; did you remove/ plug that relief valve? IF the engine is still on the stand, I'd take the pan off and plug that valve, if you haven't already done so. It can be a cause of internal oil leaks.
Old 04-19-2020 | 09:54 PM
Teching In

Thanks for responding. Ya i went ahead and took the oil pan off and installed it. The only reason why i didnt want to was becouse i didnt have an alighnment tool for the rear and front covers and ihad them alighned about perfectly, but i got through it. By the way a roll of electrical tape fits perfectly over the crank shaft then you can peal enough tape of to the size of your seal. Im sure alot of people know that, but it certinly was a proud dyi moment for me.

Quick Reply: Flare nut moment