Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CNC throttle body porting

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 04:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default CNC throttle body porting

Does anyone offer CNC throttle body porting for an C6 LS2? I have seen a couple of shops that hand port, however I an not sure how they can control circularity or concentricity. It would seem that CNC porting is the best way to go if you were to consider this mod.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's hard to get a nice smooth surface with a CNC machine which is key when porting throttle bodies. I'm thinking a lathe would work better assuming you can symmetrically port around the center w/o porting through the wall. You would also have to make a jig to hold the TB in the lathe.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
It's hard to get a nice smooth surface with a CNC machine which is key when porting throttle bodies. I'm thinking a lathe would work better assuming you can symmetrically port around the center w/o porting through the wall. You would also have to make a jig to hold the TB in the lathe.

You can get a mirror finish if desired off of a cnc mill. Machine quality cutter selection and tool path all play a role.
When I get some time I am going to play around with a few throttle bodies at work.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:12 PM
On The Tree

I heard the butterfly opening was spherical, so I was under the impression it required a CNC profile. Is this true? If not, a shopw who uses a manual lathe would be fine.

Quick Reply: CNC throttle body porting