Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accusump without shut off valve

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accusump without shut off valve

I'm running an LS2 in a Class One off-road race car. I want to use the Accusump to maintain oil pressure in rough terrain when the pump may cavitate. It's not convenient to install a shut off valve and I don't need the pre-oiling feature. The electric valve that Accusump offers does not appear to flow well enough to provide the protection I want during transient loss of oil pressure.

My question is, do I need to be concerned about the extra 3 quarts of oil in the engine during startup, or do I need to be concerned about the time interval (in terms of oil pressure) that it takes the Accusump to fill? The Accusump in my installation is "T"ed into the return line to the engine after the external oil filter and cooler. There is a check valve between the Accusump and the cooler as per the manufacturer's recommendation.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few facts from my experience.
I have a 3 qt sump inside the car with a manual shutoff. It's plumbed into the oil pressure hole, behind the intake. When I installed it, I filled it with oil and pressurized to 100 lb. After running the motor, it never goes back to 100. The pressure from the oil pump will only build it up to 50 lb. With that 50, for pre-start, it holds about 20 lb for 20 seconds. I usually open the sump for the 20 seconds, then start the motor, don't see any problems with that. I really like the pre oil, no knocks after the car has been sitting for a few weeks.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a manual valve. If you do not have it shut off on startup your engine runs with low oil pressure until the sump if filled with oil. I like to let the engine get up to pressure and then slowly fill sump. If I close the valve before shutting off engine I have pre oiling available that lasts for many weeks.

Quick Reply: Accusump without shut off valve