Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Check guages" everythings going nuts

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 11:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default "Check guages" everythings going nuts

I have over the last few days had some issues with my guages. I will be driving and all of a sudden the "check guages" light will come on, then, it will show the lights for my ABS inoperational, e-brake being on, low oil light, and service engine soon. Then, they will just go off. The batter guage will also register all the way over to the right of the display, don't know what that means. Whenever the check guages light comes on, if I look down in town I can see the oil pressure needle literally moving back and forth about 3 or 4 times in 20 seconds. I do not notice anything unusually about the car's drivability and think it may be due to a sensor or something..The same day I noticed thsi we had torrential rain and I did drive through a pretty deep "puddle". It didn't put my exhaust under water but it did make the belt squeel for a bit. There is a faint, faint lifter-tick style noise coming from the motor, however, I have a pretty hefty cam in there and it may have always been there and just gone unnoticed since I rarely try to listen to it over my exhaust, it doesn't sound serious.
I just recently changed my water pump, everything was put back on right I know that for a fact, is there any sensor that would have been affected from driving through a puddle that was more like a pond going across the road about 4-5inches high? Any thoughts on this?
Old 04-11-2008, 06:38 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My did the same thing and it turned out that the battiery was hitting the a/c unit behind it. Check to see if your battiery is bolted in right and if their are any burn marks on the a/c unit.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:10 AM
TECH Addict

Wow I totally forgot about that. When I replaced my water pump I noticed my battery "hold down" parts were broken off on the front side. I assumed when the motor was installed they broke it and either didn't realize it or didn't care. I had made a mental note to fix it but with school, work, and ending a long term relationship I guess it totally escaped me until I read that post. I will give it a look when I get done at class, hopefull that is it.
Thanks a lot !
Old 04-15-2008, 12:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also another thing to look into, Make sure you have a good connection to the battery.

When I bought my car from a stealership, somebody had actually tightened the postive cable to much on the battery, breaking the lead off inside the battery. They used gorilla snot to keep it together so they wouldn't have to purchase a new battery. About three weeks later everything started to go apeshit. Even the hatch would open up on me, going down the road.

What happened is it would restart the computer everytime it was making good contact with it.

Bought a new battery and positive cable and good ever since.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:05 PM
TECH Addict

Hey thanks a lot I appreciate the feedback. I think I finally got part of it figured out, check out my other thread "abnormal oil consumption" if you are curious.

Quick Reply: "Check guages" everythings going nuts