Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to a LSX Block

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 05:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 145 Likes on 114 Posts

Default Going to a LSX Block

I'm thinking about going to a LSX Block for my next project. I did some looking around and found that some of the parts are different from the Gen III Style Engines.

For those that are using a LSX Block, what did you need that was different than the Gen III setups.. I know that you have to get a LS2 Timing Cover and Cam Timing Gear(I have a solid one from a Truck, is it the same?), the Cam Sensor(is this different from the Gen III Style?) and the Knock Sensors go on the side of the Block. I know the Valley Cover is different as well..does the Oil Sending Unit go in this and is it the same? Also it has provisions for a Dry Sump System, do you have to plug it if you are using the standard Wet Sump setup?

From what I gather these parts pretty much the same as the LS2..does anyone have a parts list and a little guide to get this in and running. I currently am running a Gen III Style Engine, so that wiring is there, I know I have to modify some of it.

Thanks.

Last edited by the_merv; 05-26-2008 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:29 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are several differences that will change from the GenIII to the GenIV when using the LSX Block.

The LSX block doesn't have provisions for the cam sensor off the rear of the cam. There are no locations for the knock sensors in the lifter valley.

The GenIV also had provisions for the VVT or DOD.

If you use the LSX BLock in a GenIII application you will need to sense the cam from the front of the block and relocate the knock sensors

All blocks are able to accept the LS7 Dry Sump components. That would include the Oil Pan, Oil pump and pickup tube, Front timing cover, lower cam sprocket/oil pump drive, oil lines and oil tank as well as a crankshaft with a 1" longer snout like the LS7.

Robin