Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

With true duals, how much does the location of the X pipe matter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 05:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default With true duals, how much does the location of the X pipe matter?

What I would like to know is how these designs compare performance wise:

3" true duals to a Magnaflow dual 3" inlet/outlet muffler with built in X-pipe, with the muffler (and therefore the X) positioned at the very rear of the exhaust system...

VS.

3: true duals with X-pipe at the mid section (TSP true duals) and using regular mufflers?

I got the TSP TD's and 1 7/8 headers yesterday. (the headers look fantastic by the way). My concern though is with the duals, because the angle of the pipes as they come to the X is enough to make me question the effectiveness of the design. Maybe it is just fine and I have nothing to worry about, but I am considering replacing that 14" section of the system and just relying on the X in the muffler. That is why I want to know the above. I would also like to know if it will hurt anything if I run the true dual X as well as the Magnaflow X. Do two X's make a wrong ? LOL

Is my concern not even valid enough to be worrying about on a hopefully 500+rwh 427 ?

Last edited by esams; 06-05-2008 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:14 PM
Teching In

Last edited by esams; 12-09-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:02 PM

I don't think you will see a major difference with either setup.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:51 PM
Teching In

Today I took the car and TSP X to Pro Dyno and showed it to the owner Chuck Hendrickson (the technical advisor on Pinks with the long goatee, interestingly enough). He says the X is fine and it is more effective the closer you have it to the front of the system. I'm sure this is newbie **** to many, but I couldn't find much on a search for TSP true duals.

Looks like we're going to run dual Magnaflow 4x9's and resonators. I told him I wanted as quiet of a system as possible without robbing power, so he will "customize" (hammer) the area under the rear seats and make room for everything, running the duals under the axle with flanges there for dropping the rear. He said he doubts I will be happy with anything he would do over the axle.

That combined with stock sized Mickey Thompson drag radials will hopefully keep the bird as stealth as possible for having a free breathing 427.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

This may help. http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ion/index.html
Old 06-12-2008, 06:43 AM
Launching!

The location of the x-pipe is VERY important. For street cars, the closer it can be to the merge collectors, the better. Note that the closer it is to the headers, the header alignment becomes more important. Which I believe would be the reason that cheaper systems put it further away to compensate for L+R header mis-alignment.

BTW: True duals do not have an x-pipe. They are a true "dual" exhaust with no connection between the banks.

Quick Reply: With true duals, how much does the location of the X pipe matter?