Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

1995 camaro

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 01:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 camaro

I bought a 1995 z28 camaro for $200. Perfect body minus motor/tranny. Looking for a new motor. Thinking about the Ls3. Anyone have input for me. Before you post a thread telling me to just buy the ls1 camaro and save money, money is not an object. This is my dream car and I'm not afraid of spending cash.

Current mods: 1998-02 front clip conversion

Last edited by armyguy_conn; 03-18-2009 at 03:07 AM. Reason: wrong price
Old 10-14-2008, 01:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go big if money is no object 454 ci LSX
Old 10-14-2008, 01:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

i'm considering doing the same thing with my 96 Trans Am. I know we are going to need a different crossmember, as well as an LS1 style steering shaft. There has been a few people on here who have completed the swap already, and their threads have a ton of info.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

well with your budget i would say a lsx 454. Ls7, ET, or Afr heads. Look for the other swap threads as you will find out everything you need to make it happen. Many have already done this same thing.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:03 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm currently in the middle of the same swap on a 93 firebird. I justified it because I was going to take the car to the next level 396 and a single plane. If you add that up it is more then what I have into my 427 ls3 build. I wanted a tubular K memeber anyways so that was nothing extra. Only real extras are the harness conversion, diff pcm, and the accesories and misc odds and ends I paid for by selling off all my Lt1 stuff. I think in the long run it cost me an extra 2k tops over if I had an ls1 car already, but I wouldve had to buy an LS1 car which wouldve caused the project amount to go even higher. I also did the front end conversion to a 98-02 formula with a superhawk hood (waiting on hood )

Nick
Old 10-15-2008, 05:44 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I helped a gut with a similar swap in his LT1 car last year. Here's a quick/short list (be prepared, there's always more and the nickel/dime stuff about killed this guy!):

-The complete engine, pan to intake, covers and all!
-LS1 F-body PCM and wiring harness (there will be some changes on the harness that runs inside the cabin, but they are minor. I have always enjoyed working with and getting my harnesses from John@Speartech who is a sponsor here! He can make the harness specific with the correct injector plug-ins, wire lengths for MAP sensor at front of manifold vs rear, etc.)
-LS1 K-member, and hanging components that are specific to the LSx vehicle
-LS1 Style Bellhousing, Input Shaft, and cross-member for Tranny (most times it is more cost effective to get a built unit with the parts you want and need rather than trying to do it just the essentials)
-LSx front drive accessories (brackets and all) - F-body parts are obviously the easiest way to do this!
-This guy kept the LT1 radiator for the improved performance over the LS1 unit. You will need different radiator hoses though.
-LS1 steering rack and steering shaft
-LS1 headers

That's the big stuff off the top of my head. It's similar to a V6 to LS1 swap really, and lots of guys do it. If you can sell most all of your old parts, you can come out like you mentioned just a couple G's into the deal!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 10-15-2008, 07:01 PM
12 Second Club

In time this would be nice to do. A guy in the LT1 thread did it and it turned out nice.

Quick Reply: 1995 camaro