Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS2 427 with bad rings...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 08:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
If they built the engine, and THEY installed 30 lb injectors....then they simply should have given you a tune to match the engine they built. If they didn't, they screwed the pooch.

BUT....when the car SAT for awhile, did the engine sit having never been started up? Then you got the PCM from MTI with their tune and then you started it for the first time and drove it around with that tune?

If so, they are 100% at fault. They built it and they tuned it wrong. No way out of it for them unless there's other things we don't know. All engine builders love to say, "if we build it and we tune it, yeah, then we'll warranty it."

If MTI built it and Joe Blow tuner did the PCM tuning....then you'd be screwed with no recourse.
The car sat for the cold winter months as I live in Ohio. and no i didnt start it. Everyother weekend in summer and fall I would be able to get home and drive it. I broke it in just how they advised me too. Used the oil as they said. Didn't know at the time they had programmed the PCM for the wrong injectors. The car has always ran great just always seem to overload in higher Rpms. And yes i think MTI is a little at fault here but has since went out of business. So it is up to me to get it fixed.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by racer7088
What actual rings are in this engine?

Find out.
hey Erik you dont know me but i spoke to I think it was Dave/David at MTI motorcars and he told me to get ahold of you if i needed work done on this motor. But anyways he told me that I have top seal rings.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:23 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Arrow

Originally Posted by SpinsB
hey Erik you dont know me but i spoke to I think it was Dave/David at MTI motorcars and he told me to get ahold of you if i needed work done on this motor. But anyways he told me that I have top seal rings.
Yeah that was what I thought as there are some issues with those rings at times on a normal wetsump street car if everythings not perfect. I do not use them on regular wetsump engines although they are awsome rings but it seems on the high windage LSx deals with stock wetsumps sometimes they do eat a lot of oil.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:13 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The car sat for the cold winter months as I live in Ohio. and no i didnt start it. Everyother weekend in summer and fall I would be able to get home and drive it. I broke it in just how they advised me too. Used the oil as they said. Didn't know at the time they had programmed the PCM for the wrong injectors. The car has always ran great just always seem to overload in higher Rpms. And yes i think MTI is a little at fault here but has since went out of business. So it is up to me to get it fixed.
Erik knows what he's talking about for sure, but no matter how good an engine is built or how perfectly you break it in....if you literally have raw fuel coming out of the pipes, the rings will get gas washed and never seat.

MTI is at fault.

Shouldn't cost more than $1,500 to have it rebuilt, honing, gaskets, rings, new bearings and all. I'm getting my stroker completely rebuilt, including having it further bored out to 4.125, so it'll be a 441ci. That plus rebuild, plus new pistons is gonna cost me about $2,200. Just gotta remove my engine and bring it over to the shop.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok. So knowing everything I've found out in this thread, whats my next step to make sure the rings are bad? compression test? leak down test? and also what numbers should i see with either of these tests. Once I confirm that they are bad(which I think we all agree) what rings are best for me? Last any sponsers out there please give me some info on what I'm looking at here for a rebuild. Heard alot of good things about HKE just don't know if i really want to spend the $$ to ship my motor all the was to Tx and back. But if its worth it then again maybe i will
Old 10-26-2008, 07:08 PM
FormerVendor

LS6427, you are right that if you have crazy fuel wash going through the engine that could wreak havok as well. I wouldn't think MTI would have let it go like that but I was not there or around for any of that so I don't know. They always seemed a cut above in general and very responsible overall. I just know that many people had some bad luck with those rings on the LSx stuff even though like I said we use them on race stuff with great success.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:52 PM
Restricted User

Then what rings would you suggest???
Old 10-29-2008, 11:51 PM
FormerVendor

I'd personally use the regular Total Seal rings with the normal top ring. They work great and I'd probably run a napier second as well but they probably did as MTI always used pretty much the best on everything. Again I just think that top ring on that set isn't the one to use on a wet sump LS1. I'd use the regular Total Seal ring instead and it would probably be fine. This is still assuming there is no other issue.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by racer7088
LS6427, you are right that if you have crazy fuel wash going through the engine that could wreak havok as well. I wouldn't think MTI would have let it go like that but I was not there or around for any of that so I don't know. They always seemed a cut above in general and very responsible overall. I just know that many people had some bad luck with those rings on the LSx stuff even though like I said we use them on race stuff with great success.
Wouldn't you agree that if raw fuel is making it out of the tailpipes, its pretty bad? Thats how mine was for 400 miles and my rings were toast. I had to have a brand new 400 mile engine rebuilt.

But the OP said that MTI sent him an incorrectly tuned PCM for the engine that they built, and MTI made a mistake thinking different fuel injectors were in there.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:18 AM
Banned

Ok. So knowing everything I've found out in this thread, whats my next step to make sure the rings are bad? compression test? leak down test? and also what numbers should i see with either of these tests. Once I confirm that they are bad(which I think we all agree) what rings are best for me? Last any sponsers out there please give me some info on what I'm looking at here for a rebuild. Heard alot of good things about HKE just don't know if i really want to spend the $$ to ship my motor all the was to Tx and back. But if its worth it then again maybe i will
A leakdown check will tell if the rings are shot.

Where do you live?
Old 10-31-2008, 07:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Built motors

Man this is the exact thing that scares the hell out of me....GM can throw these motors
together and run for 200,000 miles but i've seen too may post about guys having problems
with built motors...i know it's a once in awhile occurance but still damn, for the money it takes for a built motor it's these kinds of issues that would keep me up at night and i'd be popping valium like candy until i know my motor was built right and broken in by the engine builder. Dude i wish ya all the luck in the world that everything works itself out...Take care buddy.

Den
Old 10-31-2008, 07:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS6427
A leakdown check will tell if the rings are shot.

Where do you live?
Cincinnati Oh, whats the processes in a leak down test.

Last edited by SpinsB; 10-31-2008 at 08:38 PM.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BlackNiteWS6
Man this is the exact thing that scares the hell out of me....GM can throw these motors
together and run for 200,000 miles but i've seen too may post about guys having problems
with built motors...i know it's a once in awhile occurance but still damn, for the money it takes for a built motor it's these kinds of issues that would keep me up at night and i'd be popping valium like candy until i know my motor was built right and broken in by the engine builder. Dude i wish ya all the luck in the world that everything works itself out...Take care buddy.

Den
The PCM tuning is just as important as the way the engine is built. Its 50/50.

The best engine builder in the world will have a pile of crap for an engine 1 week after a bad tune. Hell, engine could detonate and actually come apart from a bad tune.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:44 PM
Banned

Cincinnati Oh, whats the processes in a leak down test.
Just about any mechanic can do a leakdown check. Just make sure they pull the fuel pump fuses, I think things can get damaged beyond repair if they don't and it starts up while doing the test. Can;'t remember exactly what the deal was though.

It'll take a matter of 15 minutes to do it after you have the spark plugs out. You only need to check 2 plugs on each side, don't mess with that #8 plug on the passengers side.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Den
Welcome to LS1s, where amateurs are "LS1 Pros"

Get the engine in a box to Tx addressed to Erik, wait patiently recieve box back and dont worry bout it again
Old 11-01-2008, 09:58 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by GrannySShifting
Welcome to LS1s, where amateurs are "LS1 Pros"

Get the engine in a box to Tx addressed to Erik, wait patiently recieve box back and dont worry bout it again
Oh man i hear ya there...any 18 year old kid thats been to the track a few
times can qualify as an LS1 expert..lol. But seriously i'm sure HKE, Katech, Speed, Inc, EPP, and 2 others that i like on here, i'm sure they can build a motor that puts down great numbers without having to over head or over cam the thing to show good numbers right? And i agree with the previous post that tuning is just as important when running a new engine. Damn where's my bottle of xanny's, post like this makes my hands shake

Den
Old 11-01-2008, 10:18 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Bring it on over and we'll do a leak down test and if it checks out then we'll give it a good tune. If you don't see blue smoke behind you and you mentioned that it still feels like it is making good power, then I'd tune it and then monitor oil usage since you can't get the engine covered under a warranty. Bob
Old 11-01-2008, 07:21 PM
10 Second Club

Man it stinks that us S.Jersey guys dont have a shop near by like EPP.
I'd be happy to just drop off my car, D1SC kit, and the rest of the parts and just stop
back when the car's finished. Especially when it comes to having the FMIC installed and the tuning done by Bob and his guys
Old 11-02-2008, 04:58 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Man it stinks that us S.Jersey guys dont have a shop near by like EPP.
I'd be happy to just drop off my car, D1SC kit, and the rest of the parts and just stop
back when the car's finished. Especially when it comes to having the FMIC installed and the tuning done by Bob and his guys
Thanks, we appreciate it! Bob
Old 11-05-2008, 11:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Update

Spent yesterday at EPP(ExoticPerformancePlus). Took the WS6 there and had them do a leak down test. All the numbers came back great, rings are fine. they put new plugs in and gave me a little tuning. Car runs great and has better maners than it did before. A big THANKS to the guys at EPP for all that they did. Great guys over at EPP. Level headed and willing to help and get you what you want. I will be returning for any other work I need done.

Quick Reply: LS2 427 with bad rings...