Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS6 block in LS2 05 vette cam sensor question

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 02:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Smile LS6 block in LS2 05 vette cam sensor question

Hey guys I have an interesting question and after a couple of hours of searching I am still not sure. My block is a Darton sleeved LS6 and I would like to have the option of swapping it in a 2005 vette. I know the reluctor wheel is 24X so I'm ok there. But with regards to the 1X cam sensor being up front on the LS2, why can I not use the sensor in the back of my LS6?

I have heard the sensor reference voltage is 5V not 12V on the LS2 and LS6 respectively. Is this correct? Can the values be adjusted in the pcm tables?

As I am in the middle of the build I can just go both directions for C5 C6 compatibility and use the rear cam pickup and cam for a C5 application while also using the C6 cam sprocket and cover for the front pickup. Any help would be great. Thanks, J.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:37 PM
10 Second Club

But with regards to the 1X cam sensor being up front on the LS2, why can I not use the sensor in the back of my LS6?
You can use the LS6 cam sensor in the rear, but you need to use a LS1/LS6 specific cam with the standard reluctor wheel pressed on the rear of the cam.

Can the values be adjusted in the pcm tables?
No. However there are aftermarket cam sensor harnesses that plug between the PCM harness that allows you to run a LS2 front timing cover/sensor with a LS1/LS6 PCM. Or you can simply splice the wires yourself.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:34 PM
Staging Lane

Alright great then I can just plug the ls2 harness into the rear sensor on my block and not have to use the front pickup The pcm would see the same values and the connector is the same? Let me know if I am missing something.

I wonder why the general moved the location of the sensor? Accessibility, better cooling? Seems a change would incur greater production costs as with sticking with a working design. IMHO.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:33 PM
On The Tree

they made the block stronger by not drilling it for the sensor,i run an iron block,u will have to rewire the plug,as their different

Quick Reply: LS6 block in LS2 05 vette cam sensor question